Attention, chocolate lovers! I have a new great recipe for you! It is luscious chocolate cupcakes with homemade salted caramel and vanilla buttercream frosting on top. Sounds good? So, let’s get started!
For the base, I used the recipe from my favorite Strawberry Shortcake Cupcakes and modified it. I added some cocoa powder and melted baking chocolate for a beautiful rich chocolate flavor. To make these cupcakes extra delicious, do not forget about sour cream. This is my favorite ingredient to any cake/cupcakes recipe to keep them soft and moist.
For the filling, I wanted to make homemade caramel. As I am a fan of the Sallysbakingaddicion.com website and her delicious creations, I used her recipe for rich and creamy salted caramel. I have to tell you, this is the first time I made my own caramel, and I am not going to buy caramel ever again. It is so easy to make it at home, and you need only 3 ingredients and literally 5-6 minutes to cook. Just follow her detailed instructions on this link “salted caramel recipe”.
One of the best parts in cupcakes is frosting. So, I tried both, vanilla buttercream frosting and vanilla cream cheese frosting. I have to tell you that you definitely have to make a good buttercream frosting for these cupcakes. It will highlight the luscious flavor of chocolate and the salted caramel.
Now it is time to start to make these gorgeous chocolate cupcakes with homemade salted caramel and vanilla buttercream frosting!
Ingredients for Chocolate cupcakes:
- ½ cup of all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup of cocoa powder
- ½ teaspoon of baking soda
- ½ teaspoon of baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon of salt
- ½ cup (1 stick) of unsalted butter (melted)
- 2/3 cup of granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- ¼ cup of whole milk
- ¼ cup of sour cream
- 2 oz of dark baking chocolate (melted)
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- Zest of 1 orange
Ingredients for salted caramel sauce:
- 1 cup of granulated sugar
- 6 tablespoons of salted butter
- 1/4 cup of heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon of salt
Ingredients for buttercream frosting:
- 1 cup (2 sticks) of unsalted butter (softened)
- 1 cup of powdered sugar
- ½ teaspoon of salt
- 2 tablespoons of whole milk
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
How to make Chocolate Cupcakes:
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line cupcake pan with 12 cupcake liners and set aside.
2. In a medium size mixing bowl sift flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda and salt together. Set aside.
3. In another large mixing bowl whisk together melted butter and granulated sugar (you can use mixer or a whisk). Add eggs, milk, sour cream, melted chocolate, vanilla extract and orange zest, whisking constantly in between.
4. Add dry ingredients into the mixture. Using a spatula, combine it together until smooth. Do not over mix.
5. Divide this batter between 12 cupcake liners. Bake at 350°F for 18-20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. When it is ready, take it out and set aside to cool off. Place cupcakes on a wire rack.
6. Using a small knife carve out small holes in the middle of cupcakes, about 1 inch deep.
7. When the cupcakes cool off, spoon the salted caramel sauce (the recipe is here) into the cupcakes holes (about a teaspoon).
How to make Buttercream frosting:
1. In a large bowl, beat softened butter on a medium/high speed until softened.
2. Beat in powdered sugar, salt, milk and vanilla extract until smooth.
3. Top the cupcakes with buttercream frosting using a swirl piping tip.