Traditional Borscht Soup recipe is made with beef bone broth, beets, and cabbage. This delicious healthy soup is a great comfort meal for the Fall and Winter seasons!
- 2 pounds bone-in short ribs (4 short ribs)
- 16 cups water
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 cups beets, grated (2 small or 1 large)
- 2 cups carrots, grated (2 medium)
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- Salt to taste
- 4 cups cabbage, shredded
- 4 potatoes, diced
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 cup parsley, chopped
- 1 cup dill, chopped
- Sour cream (for serving) (skip if you follow Whole 30 and Dairy Free diets)
- Preheat large skillet on high and sear short ribs for about 5 minutes on each side.
- When done, transfer the short ribs into a large pot and add 16 cups of water. Bring it to boil, then reduce the heat to medium/low and let it simmer for about 2 hours or until the meat is cooked and falls from the bone.
- Meanwhile, chop the onion, grate carrots and the beets.
- Preheat the skillet you used to sear the short ribs with the remaining fat, add chopped onion. Cook for about 10-15 minutes over medium heat or until the onion becomes translucent and get golden in color.
- Add grated carrots and beets. Stir and cook for another 10 minutes.
- Add tomato paste, teaspoon of salt and sugar. Cook for another 10 minutes. When done, remove from the heat.
- When the meat is cooked, add chopped potatoes and shredded cabbage. Cook for about 15-20 minutes or until the potatoes are cooked.
- Then add the onion/carrot/beet mixture and chopped parsley and dill. Cook for another 10 minutes.
- While it’s cooking, take out the meat. Shred the meat and separate it from the bones and fat, then return shredded meat to the soup.
- Turn of the heat, cover with the lid and let the soup seat for another 10-15 minutes before serving.
- When serving, scoop a tablespoon of sour cream on top with more chopped dill.
1. You can keep the soup in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. This Borscht will actually taste better on 2nd and 3rd days, as all the flavors will meld together. This is a great recipe for meal prep!
Keywords: Borscht Soup with Beef