Classic Apple Pie made with foolproof pie dough and cinnamon apple pie filling, topped with a lattice pattern is the best dessert recipe for the holiday season!
Ingredients for Pie Crust Dough:
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 8 tablespoons vegetable shortening, cubed and cold
- 12 tablespoons unsalted butter, cubed and cold
- 4–6 tablespoons water, iced
Ingredients for Apple Pie Filling:
- 7 Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored, and sliced
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 lemon (zest and juice)
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg, for egg wash
- 2 tablespoons granulated suagr, for topping
- Ice Cream, for serving
How to make Pie Dough:
- Put all-purpose flour, granulated sugar, and salt in a food processor and quickly pulse it.
- Add cold and cubed vegetable shortening and pulse again until combined. It will look grainy.
- Then add cold and cubed unsalted butter and pulse again until you get coarse crumbs.
- Transfer the butter/flour mixture to a large mixing bowl and add 4 tablespoons of cold water and mix it all with a spatula. Gradually add more water until the right consistency.
- Slightly knead the dough into a ball, divide into two equal parts, wrap into plastic wrap, and refrigerate for at least 1-2 hours or overnight.
How to make Apple Pie Filling.
- Peel and dices the apples and put them in a large mixing bowl.
- Add flour, granulated sugar, lemon zest and juice, ground cinnamon, allspice, nutmeg, and salt. Stir until well combined and set aside.
How to make Classic Apple Pie.
- Take one half of the dough from the refrigerator about 5-10 minutes before you are ready to work with it and let it sit on the counter.
- Flour the counter surface as well as the roller pin.
- Flour the dough as well and, using your hands shape it in a disc form. Roll the dough in a circle about ¼-inch thick. Transfer the rolled dough into a baking pan and gently press around to make sure it perfectly fits into the pan. Make sure you don’t stretch the dough!
- When done, trim the excess edges, leaving about 1 inch hanging over the pan.
- Refrigerate it for about 10 minutes before filling with the apple filling.
- After you refrigerate for 10 minutes, fill the dough-lined pie pan with the apple filling, evenly spread it, creating a small mountain in the middle.
- Refrigerate while working on the lattice.
- Take the second part of the dough and roll it out the same you did it with the first part.
- Using a pizza cutter or a regular knife, cut strips about 2-inches wide.
- Take the pie from the refrigerator and build the lattice. Lay out 5-6 strips of pie dough parallel on top of the pie filling, leaving about 1/2-inch in between. Fold back every other strip and place another strip perpendicular to the original strips. Continue until done.
- When done, trim the excess edges of the strips, so they match the diameter of the base dough.
- Using your hands, fold the hanging edges from the bottom up and crimp evenly to secure.
- Brush the top with an egg wash and sprinkle with remaining granulated sugar. Refrigerate for another 10 minutes.
- While the pie is in the refrigerator, preheat the oven to 425°F.
- Bake the pie at 425°F for about 25 minutes until the top and the edges become light golden/brown color. Then lower the temperature to 375°F and continue baking for another 30-35 minutes until the lattice is deep golden/brown color and the apple filling is bubbling.
- Take it out of the oven and let it cool off for 3-4 hours before serving.
- Serve with a scoop of ice cream.
Keywords: classic apple pie