Classic Apple Pie made with foolproof pie crust and best apple pie filling, topped with a lattice pattern is a great easy dessert recipe for the holiday season!
Ingredients for Pie Crust Dough:
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup vegetable shortening, cubed and cold
- 12 tablespoons unsalted butter, cubed and cold
- 4–8 tablespoons water, iced
Ingredients for Apple Pie Filling:
- 7 Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored, and sliced
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 lemon (zest and juice)
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg, for egg wash
- 2 tablespoons granulated suagr, for topping
- Ice Cream, for serving
How to make Pie Dough:
- Put all-purpose flour, granulated sugar, and salt in a food processor and quickly pulse it.
- Add cold and cubed vegetable shortening and pulse again until combined. It will look grainy.
- Then add cold and cubed unsalted butter and pulse again until you get coarse crumbs.
- Transfer the butter/flour mixture to a large mixing bowl and add 4 tablespoons of cold water and mix it all with a spatula. Gradually add more water until the right consistency.
- Slightly knead the dough into a ball, divide into two equal parts, wrap into plastic wrap, and refrigerate for at least 1-2 hours or overnight.
How to make Apple Pie Filling.
- Peel and dices the apples and put them in a large mixing bowl.
- Add flour, granulated sugar, lemon zest and juice, ground cinnamon, allspice, nutmeg, and salt. Stir until well combined and set aside.
How to make Classic Apple Pie.
- Take one half of the dough from the refrigerator about 5-10 minutes before you are ready to work with it and let it sit on the counter.
- Flour the counter surface as well as the roller pin.
- Flour the dough as well and, using your hands shape it in a disc form. Roll the dough in a circle about ¼-inch thick. Transfer the rolled dough into a baking pan and gently press around to make sure it perfectly fits into the pan. Make sure you don’t stretch the dough!
- When done, trim the excess edges, leaving about 1 inch hanging over the pan.
- Refrigerate it for about 10 minutes before filling with the apple filling.
- After you refrigerate for 10 minutes, fill the dough-lined pie pan with the apple filling, evenly spread it, creating a small mountain in the middle.
- Refrigerate while working on the lattice.
- Take the second part of the dough and roll it out the same you did it with the first part.
- Using a pizza cutter or a regular knife, cut strips about 2-inches wide.
- Take the pie from the refrigerator and build the lattice. Lay out 5-6 strips of pie dough parallel on top of the pie filling, leaving about 1/2-inch in between. Fold back every other strip and place another strip perpendicular to the original strips. Continue until done.
- When done, trim the excess edges of the strips, so they match the diameter of the base dough.
- Using your hands, fold the hanging edges from the bottom up and crimp evenly to secure.
- Brush the top with an egg wash and sprinkle with remaining granulated sugar. Refrigerate for another 10 minutes.
- While the pie is in the refrigerator, preheat the oven to 425°F.
- Bake the pie at 425°F for about 25 minutes until the top and the edges become light golden/brown color. Then lower the temperature to 375°F and continue baking for another 30-35 minutes until the lattice is deep golden/brown color and the apple filling is bubbling.
- Take it out of the oven and let it cool off for 3-4 hours before serving.
- Serve with a scoop of ice cream.
NOTE 1: When you work with the pie crust, always keep the dough and its ingredients cold.
NOTE 2: When you mix the cold water with the butter/flour mixture, you want the dough be a bit wet rather than too dry. It will be more elastic and easier to work with. However, you don’t want it to be too wet and sticky. If you put too much water, just add a bit more flour and mix well.
Keywords: classic apple pie