Classic Strawberry Shortcake recipe is easy to make which has a luscious combination of a biscuit, fresh berries, and whipped cream. It is a perfect summer dessert idea to treat your friends and family.
Strawberry shortcakes are always my number one summer dessert. They are light, refreshing, and have a beautiful combination of fresh berries and silky whipped cream. There are many different variations on how to make Strawberry Shortcake; as a cake, using biscuits, or as mini sponge cakes. But despite all of these varieties, every single one of them is delicious.
If you like summer desserts, please check these recipes:
Last year I posted my version of Strawberry Shortcake Cake which is absolutely luscious. It has three layers of sponge cakes filled with strawberry compote, whipped cream, and fresh strawberries. Similar to all other cake recipes, it can also be a bit time consuming, and usually reserved for special occasions. However, I have another easy Strawberry Shortcake recipe that can be made in the blink of an eye, especially if you make the basic shortcakes ahead of time.
For the base, I use vanilla scones. It is the same recipe as I used for my Orange Cranberry Scones but I added more vanilla extract instead of orange zest and cranberries. These scones are incredibly tasty, soft, and crumbly and take no time at all to prepare.
For the classic strawberry shortcake filling, I use fresh sliced strawberries, mixed with sugar and lime juice, and whipped cream.
Did you make this recipe?!? I’d love to know how it turned out! leave a comment and a rating below👇 thank you!
Classic Strawberry Shortcake
Ingredients for Biscuits:
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter cold, cut into pieces
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 large egg for egg wash
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar for topping
Ingredients for the Filling:
- 3 cups fresh strawberries sliced
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- lime juice from 1 lime
- 1 cup heavy whipped cream
- 2 tablespoons powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
How to make Biscuits:
- Preheat the oven to 400°F, line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a standing mixer, using a paddle attachment, add all dry ingredients (all-purpose flour, granulated sugar, baking powder, and salt) and cold butter cut into chunks. Mix it on low speed for a few minutes until you have coarse pea-size crumbs.
- In a medium mixing bowl, add wet ingredients (an egg, heavy cream, and vanilla extract). Mix it and add to the dry ingredients. On a low speed, mix it until just incorporated.
- Take the dough and put it on a floured surface. Roughly knead it until it all comes together and roll it out into a round disk shape about 1 inch thick. Cut it into 3-inch circles. Knead the scraps, re-roll and cut the circles until you have 5 biscuits. Put them on the baking sheet.
- Brush the tops and the sides with egg wash (1 egg and ½ tablespoon of water beaten together). Sprinkle granulated sugar on top.
- Bake at 400°F for about 15-17 minutes until the scones have beautiful golden color. When done, let it cool off completely.
How to make filling:
- In a mixing bowl, stir together sliced strawberries, granulated sugar, and lime juice. Cover with plastic wrap and set in the refrigerator for 30 minutes. This will help the strawberries release the juices.
- In another mixing bowl, put heavy whipping cream, powdered sugar, and vanilla extract. Using a hand or stand mixer with whisk attachment, beat the ingredients on a high speed until stiff peaks form.
How to assemble Strawberry Shortcakes:
- Slice the biscuits in half and layer them with strawberry mixture and whipped cream. Enjoy!