This is an easy recipe on how to make Homemade Caramel Sauce from scratch, using just 4 simple ingredients: sugar, butter, heavy cream, and salt.
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut in pieces
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Put 1 cup granulated sugar in a sauce pan and heat it over medium heat for about 10-15 minutes, constantly stirring. The sugar will start melting and form clumps, which will turn into amber/brown liquid.
- When the sugar is completely melted, add 6 tbsp cubed butter and stir. At this point the mixture will start to bubble. Stir for a couple of minutes until the butter is melted. First, it will look like the sugar and butter are separated, there is nothing wrong with that.
- Gradually add ½ cup heavy cream and stir. It will bubble again.
- Stir for another minute, then remove from the heat and add salt.
- I prefer to add ½ teaspoon salt first, let the caramel to cool off a bit, taste, and add more salt if needed.
- First, the caramel will be quite runny but it will get thicker after it cools off.
- When the caramel sauce is completely cooled off, transfer it to a mason jar or an air tight container and refrigerate.
Keywords: Homemade Caramel Sauce Recipe