Healthy Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins is a great nutritious snack during the day or as to-go breakfast. They are made with no butter or refined sugar. Plus, you also can make them vegan!
- 1 ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3 ripe bananas, ripe
- 1/3 cup melted coconut oil
- ½ cup maple syrup
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons milk, dairy or plant based
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- Mix all the dry ingredients in a mixing bowl and set aside (1 ½ cup all-purpose flour, 1 tsp baking soda, 1 tsp baking powder, ½ tsp salt, and 1 tsp cinnamon).
- In a separate large mixing bowl, place 3 well ripe bananas. Using a fork, smash them until even consistency. Though, I like to leave a few larger chunks to have more texture in the muffins.
- Add the rest of the ingredients (1/3 cup melted coconut oil, ½ cup maple syrup, 1 egg, 1 tsp vanilla extract, and 3 tbsp milk) and whisk well.
- Add dry ingredients to the wet ingredients. Using a spatula, fold it in until combined. Try not to overmix the batter!
- Add 1 cup chocolate chips and fold them in.
- Using a large ice cream scoop (3 tablespoons), scoop the batter into the muffin tin (lined with muffin liners or just greased). You should have exactly 12 muffins.
- Bake at 350°F for about 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the muffins comes out clean.
- Take them out of the oven and let them sit in a muffin tin for 5 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack.
- Use coconut oil instead of butter. It provides pretty much the same amount of fats to make the muffins moist but has fewer calories. Also, it’s much more nutritious!
- Use Honey or Maple Syrup instead of sugar. In most of my baking, I started to use maple syrup as a sweetener. It’s not just a natural and healthier way to sweeten up your baked goods, but also provides additional flavor.
- Make these muffins VEGAN. If you want to make these healthy banana chocolate chip muffins vegan, you can just make a FLAX EGG instead of using a regular egg. 1 EGG = 1 tbsp ground flaxseed + 2 ½ tbsp water. Just mix them together and set aside for 5 minutes to thicken. Also, make sure you use a plant-based milk and vegan chocolate chips.
- How to store banana muffins? I like to keep the muffins in an air tight container. At room temperature, they will last for a few days. Though, if you refrigerate them, they will be good for a week.
- Can you freeze banana muffins? If you want to freeze the muffins, you can wrap them individually with plastic wrap, then place in a zip-lock bag or an air tight container. They will stay fresh for up to 2 months.
Keywords: Healthy Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins