This classic hearty Instant Pot Barley Soup is loaded with nutritious vegetables, tender beef, and barley. It’s an easy comforting winter soup recipe made in one pot
- 2 pounds beef stew meat (cut in 1x1 inch cubes)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 cups beef broth
- 15 ounces diced tomatoes (1 can)
- 2 carrots, diced
- 6 small potatoes, cut in quarters
- 1 cup barley, rinsed
- 2 cups water
- Salt to taste
- Rinse and pat dry 2 pounds beef stew meat. If the pieces are too big, cut them in about 1×1 inch cubed.
- Set your Instant Pot on “SAUTE”, add 2 tbsp olive oil, and let the oil get hot.
- When the oil is hot, add half of the beef and sear until it’s browned. Then take it out and repeat the same with another batch.
- When the beef is browned, take it out of the pot to a separate bowl and set aside.
- Add 1 diced onion and 2 stalks diced celery and cook for about 5-7 minutes, until they are translucent and softened.
- Add 2 cloves minced garlic and cook for another minute.
- Add 4 cups beef broth and deglaze the pot.
- Turn off Instant Pot and add the rest of the ingredients (browned beef, 15 ounces diced tomatoes, 2 diced carrots, 6 diced potatoes, 1 cup barley, and 2 cups water).
- Close the lid and make sure that the venting knob is set to “SEAL”.
- Cook the soup for 20 minutes on “HIGH” pressure.
- When done, let the pressure naturally release for 10 minutes.
- When done, taste the soup and add more salt to your liking.
NOTE 1: I like to cut the meat in smaller cubes to make sure it will be perfectly cooked.
NOTE 2: I like to brown the meat in 2-3 batches. If you put in everything at once, the meat will be overcrowded and start boiling in its own juices. When you sear beef in batches, there is more space in-between of each piece, that allows them to brown.
NOTE 3: When you brown the meat, it’s important not to stir it too much. Just put it in a single layer, leaving some space in-between, and let it cook for 2-3 minutes until it gets a nice crust, then flip it and cook more.
Keywords: Instant Pot Barley Soup