Instant Pot Italian Wedding Soup, made with turkey meatballs, acini de pepe pasta, and spinach is an easy recipe for a homemade hearty soup.
Ingredients for Meatballs:
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 1 large egg
- ½ cup breadcrumbs (I prefer seasoned)
- ½ cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/3 cup parsley, finely chopped
- Salt, pepper to taste
Ingredients for Soup:
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 2 medium carrots, chopped
- 8 cups chicken broth
- ½ cup acini de pepe pasta
- 4 cups spinach
- In a large mixing bowl, mix together ground turkey, an egg, breadcrumbs, grated parmesan cheese, minced garlic, chopped parsley, salt, and pepper.
- Using a 1 tablespoon cookie scoop, make 1-inch balls. You will have about 30 meatballs.
- Set the Instant Pot to “SAUTE” function.
- Add some olive oil. When the oil is hot add half of the meatballs in a single layer.
- NOTE: I like to brown the meatballs in 2-3 batches, so they get perfect brown color outside.
- Brown them for about 2-3 minutes, then scoop them out into a separate plate and set aside. Continue the same with the rest of the meatballs.
- After the meatballs are done, add the chopped onions and celery to the pot and cook for about 8-10 minutes, until they are softened and translucent.
- Press the “CANCEL” button.
- When done, add the browned meatballs and chopped carrots.
- Pour in chicken broth and stir everything together.
- Close the lid and make sure that the venting knob is set to “SEAL”.
- Cook the soup on manual high pressure for 5 minutes. When done, do a quick pressure release.
- Open the lid and stir the soup.
- Press “SAUTE” button again.
- Bring the liquid to boil and add acini de pepe pasta. Let it cook for about 8 minutes.
- When the pasta is almost done, add spinach and let it cook for another 2-3 minutes.
NOTE 1: When browning the meatballs, do it in 2-3 batches. Place them on the bottom of the pot in a single payer and sear for a few minutes on each side. You don’t have to cook them through, as we will cook them later.
NOTE 2: When the soup is almost done and the pasta is cooking, taste the broth. If you use LOW SODIUM chicken broth, you might need to add more salt. If you use a regular (high sodium) broth, depending on the brand, it might be a bit too salty. Add 1-2 cups of water to even it out.
Keywords: Instant Pot Italian Wedding Soup