Juicy and tender Instant Pot Pot Roast recipe made with potatoes, carrots, and gravy is a great family friendly dinner idea.
Ingredients for Dry Rub:
- ½ tablespoon smoked paprika
- ½ tablespoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne
- ½ teaspoon onion flakes
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
Ingredients for Instant Pot Pot Roast:
- 3–4 pounds beef roast (cut in 4 pieces)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups beef broth
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 pound baby potatoes
- 1 pound baby carrots (or 4 medium carrots)
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch (or tapioca flour)
- ¼ cup water
- In a small mixing bowl, mix dry rub ingredients together (1/2 tbsp smoked paprika, 1/2 tbsp salt, 1/2 tsp onion flakes, 1/2 tsp garlic powder, and 1/4 tsp cayenne) and set aside.
- Rinse the chunk of meat, pat dry, and cut in four equal pieces. Add dry rub ingredients and rub it into the meat, coating evenly.
- Set the Instant pot to “Sauté” function.
- Add 3 tbsp olive oil and let it preheat.
- When the oil is hot, place the meat in the Instant Pot and let it sear for about 4-5 minutes on each side, until it gets a golden/brown crust. Then remove the meat from the pot.
- Add chopped onion and sauté it for about 5 minutes, or until it gets golden in color. Then add minced garlic and cook for another minute.
- Add 2 cups beef broth and deglaze the bottom of the pan, scraping off the burnt bits. Then add 2 tbsp tomato paste, and 2 tsp Worcestershire sauce. Mix everything, cook for another minute, then turn off the “sauté” function off.
- Put the meat back in the pot, place 1 pound baby potatoes and 1 pound carrots on top. Cover with the lid and make sure your venting knob is turned to “sealing”.
- Cook on manual high pressure for 40 minutes. When done, do a quick pressure release.
- After the meat and vegetables are done, quickly release the pressure. Take the meat and veggies out. You can put then on a serving plate and cover with foil to keep warm.
- Turn on the “Sauté” function again and let the liquid get to boil. Let it simmer for 5-10 minutes. Then mix 2 tbsp cornstarch (or tapioca flour) with water and gradually add it to the pot. Stir and cook another 5 minutes, until the gravy gets thicker to the desired consistency.
- While the gravy is cooking, take two forks and shred the meat.
- I like to serve it on a large serving plate with meat on one side and vegetables on the other side. Pour some grave over the dish before serving.
1. It’s important to brown the meat before cooking it with vegetables, as it helps to provide the most flavor for the whole dish.
2. If you want to refrigerate the meal, transfer it to an air-tight container. It will keep in the fridge for 3-4 days.
Keywords: Instant Pot Pot Roast recipe