Pasta with Meat Sauce recipe is the best homemade comfort meal made from scratch! This is a great quick and easy family dinner idea that you can make in 30 minutes!
- 1 ½ pounds ground beef (I prefer 85%)
- 28 oz crushed tomatoes
- ¼ cup onion, grated
- 2–3 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ½ tablespoon dried basil
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- ¼ cup fresh basil, chopped
- 16 oz gluten-free pasta of your choice
- Preheat your pan over medium heat and cook ground beef for about 5-7 minutes, occasionally stirring, until it doesn’t have any red or pink color inside. I like to use 85% beef as it has the best combination of texture and flavor.
- When you cook the meat, it will produce some extra fatty juice that I like to scoop out. This step is completely optional, but it makes a big difference in how it tastes.
- After you remove the excess fat, add crushed tomatoes. Stir and bring it to the boil. Then reduce the heat to low and simmer.
- Meanwhile, start boiling water for gluten-free pasta of your choice and cook it according to the instructions on the box.
- Back to the sauce, add grated onion and minced garlic. Stir and continue to cook for a few minutes over low heat. (I like to use grated onion and it gives more flavor and juices. Though, you also can finely chop it).
- Add salt, pepper, dried basil, and red pepper flakes.
- The total time to reduce the meat sauce is about 20 minutes. By the end, it should thicken up and the crushed tomatoes will cook down. When the sauce is almost done, add fresh chopped basil and stir it in.
- Taste the sauce and adjust the seasoning to your liking.
- When the sauce is done, add cooked gluten-free pasta and mix it in. Let it cook together for 3-5 minutes, so the pasta will absorb all the flavors.
- How long does pasta with meat sauce last in a fridge? I like making a big batch of this dish as a meal prep and reheat in on busy nights. You can refrigerate it for up to 3 days. After the pasta with meat sauce is cooked, let it cool off. Then place it in a air tight container and refrigerate.
- How to reheat pasta with meat sauce? To reheat the pasta with meat sauce, preheat the pan on a low/medium heat and add a bit of olive oil. Then add the pasta, cover with a lid and let it reheat, stirring occasionally. I also like to add a little bit of water to the pasta while reheating and let it steam.
- Can I freeze homemade meat sauce? You can also freeze the meat sauce for up to 4-6 months. However, when I do it, I like to freeze the sauce only, without added pasta. Pack the sauce in air tight containers or in zip-lock bags, then put in the freezer. When ready to eat, place the frozen sauce in the refrigerator a night before, to allow it to thaw. Then you can reheat it in the pan and add some pasta.
Keywords: pasta with meat sauce