Pastries with Cream Cheese and Strawberries are a quick and easy breakfast idea for your weekend. Only 4 ingredients, puff pastry, cream cheese, strawberries, and strawberry jam, will make your breakfast special.
My standard breakfast usually consist of oatmeal with honey and fruits (comment below if you want me to post the recipe, it is really simple and delicious) or scrambled eggs with fruits and a slice of toast. However, on the weekends, I like to make something special to enjoy alongside a big cup of coffee. Coffee cake and cinnamon buns are always great brunch ideas but take too much time to prepare and bake. To make my quick and easy breakfast, I like to incorporate puff pastry in my Sunday morning baking routine. I always keep a few pastry sheets in my freezer.
One of my most favorite yet easy to prepare breakfast are Pastries with Cream Cheese and Strawberries. All you need are just 4 main ingredients and your mouthwatering-warm-flaky-freshly-baked-goodies are done! It literally takes no time to make and the aroma in your house will wake up your whole family!
To thaw puff pastry, take one sheet (or as many as you need) from the freezer and leave it on the counter at room temperature for 15-20 minutes while prepping the ingredients (and making a big pot of coffee). Make sure puff pastry is still cold but flexible enough to work. If you feel that it was sitting on the counter for too long and got warm, just put it in the fridge for 5-10 minutes before starting to work with it, otherwise, it won’t rise well. When cutting the pastry, it is always better to use a sharp knife or a pastry cutter. In my case, I used a cookie cutter with sharp edges to cut outside, and a glass with sharper edges to make indentions inside the circles.
Usually, I take out the cream cheese the same time as puff pastry, so it will be room temperature and easier to mix with jam. If you don’t have strawberry jam on hands, you can finely dice strawberries and puree them with a spoon while adding some granulated sugar. Then mix it all together with cream cheese. Another tip is to always brush some egg wash on the edges on the puff pastry, so it will have a beautiful golden-brown color.
Did you make this recipe?!? I’d love to know how it turned out! leave a comment and a rating below👇 thank you!
Pastries with Cream Cheese and Strawberries
- 3 tablespoons cream cheese room temperature
- 2 tablespoons strawberry jam
- 1 ½ cups strawberries diced
- 1 sheet puff pastry thawed
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons powdered sugar
- Preheat your oven to 400°F, line a baking sheet with a parchment paper and set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, cream together cream cheese and strawberry jam. Set aside.
- Unfold thawed puff pastry sheet. Using a cookie cutter, cut out 6 circles. Using a smaller in diameter cookie cutter or a glass, press the puff pastry in the middle of these circles to make indentions but don’t cut it through.
- Spread cream cheese mixture inside the small circles and top it with dices strawberries.
- In a small bowl, whisk an egg and a tablespoon of water. Using a pastry brush, brush the edges of the pastry with egg wash.
- Bake at 400°F for about 15 minutes until the edges are puffed and golden/brown color. Take out of the oven and cool them off for about 5 minutes. Dust them with powdered sugar before serving. Enjoy!