These Candied Orange Peels are amazing! You can use them as garnish for desserts (check my Chocolate Orange Cupcakes) or eat them like regular candies (instead of gummy bears with artificial ingredients). They have so much citrus flavor and chewy texture.
Did I mention that you literally need only 2 ingredients? Orange peels and sugar, plus some water. So let’s get started!
- Orange peels from 2 oranges
- 2 cups granulated sugar
How to make Candied Orange Peels:
1. Wash well 2 oranges, score the skin into quarters, and remove the skin, cut off the top and bottom edges. Remove the pith (the white bitter part). Cut the peel into strips, about ¼-inch wide (for garnish) or ½-inch wide (if you want to eat them as candies).
2. Place the strips in a saucepan with cold water and bring it to a boil, then reduce the heat to low and simmer orange peels for 10 minutes. That will help to reduce the bitterness from the peels. Drain them.
3. In the same saucepan mix 1 cup of sugar with 2 cups of water. Bring the mixture to boil, then reduce the heat to low and add the peels. Simmer for about 10-12 minutes, until the peels are translucent but still chewy.
4. Drain the syrup and set aside (you can use it in another baking dish), place the peels on a wire rack to dry for about 30 minutes to 1 hour.
5. Pour the rest 1 cup of sugar on a plate or baking sheet, mix the peels with sugar, so they all will be covered with it. Place them on a wire rack again to dry for 24 hours or overnight.