Finally March is here! Though it is still chilly, we are expecting 70°F next week! I couldn’t wait any longer and decided to celebrate the first warm, sunny spring days with delicious Strawberry Shortcake Cupcakes. I know I should be getting ready for swimsuit season now, instead of eating cupcakes, but I’ve been working out a lot lately and deserved a little bit of indulgence.
So, today I am going to make soft and fluffy shortcake cupcakes with strawberry filling, topped with delightful whipped cream. I know it sounds good! So let’s begin!
First, we need to make the cupcakes. One of the secrets to make them soft is to not overdo the flour or to mix the batter for too long. Also, do not over bake them, otherwise they will be dry inside. When cupcakes are ready, let them cool off and carve out small holes in the middle to fill with the strawberry filling. Top with whipped cream mixed with diced strawberries. Easy and delicious!
Ingredients for cupcakes:
- 1 cup of all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon of baking powder
- ½ teaspoon of baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon of salt
- ½ cup (1 stick) of unsalted butter (melted)
- 2/3 cup of granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/4 cup of sour cream
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- Zest of 1 orange
Ingredients for strawberry filling:
- 1 cup of diced strawberries
- 1 tablespoon of granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon of cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon of Bourbon
Ingredients for whipped cream:
- 1 cup of heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons of confectioner sugar
- 3-4 finely diced strawberries
How to make cupcakes:
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line cupcake pan with 12 cupcake liners and set aside.
2. In a medium size mixing bowl sift flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt together. Set aside.
3. In another large mixing bowl whisk together melted butter and granulated sugar (you can use mixer or a whisk). Add eggs, milk, sour cream, vanilla extract and orange zest, whisking constantly in between.
4. Add dry ingredients into the mixture. Using a spatula, combine it together until smooth. Do not over mix.
5. Divide this batter between 12 cupcake liners. Bake at 350°F for 20 minutes. When it is ready, take it out and set aside to cool off. Place cupcakes on a wire rack.
6. Using a small knife carve out small holes in the middle of cupcakes, about 1 inch deep.
How to make strawberry filling:
1. Put diced strawberries and sugar in a sauce pan and cook it over medium/high heat for about 5 minutes, constantly stirring. Let it boil a little bit, then add cornstarch, dissolved in a tablespoon of water, and Bourbon and cook for 1 more minute. Then take it off the heat and let the filling cool off completely.
2. When the cupcakes and filling cool off, spoon the strawberry filling into the cupcakes holes (about a teaspoon).
How to make strawberry whipped cream:
1. In a mixing bowl put heavy cream and confectioner sugar. Using a mixer, whip it for about 4-5 minutes until stiff peaks form. Add finely diced strawberries, mixing it together using a spatula.
2. Frost the cupcakes with the whipped cream and refrigerate.