Oven roasted Chicken Legs with Potatoes and Fennel is an easy dinner idea for two. This one pan dish is Whole 30 and Gluten Free!
I am a big fan of very simple meals that don’t require much effort to make.
One of my “to go” recipes is Roasted Chicken Legs with Potatoes and Fennel. It is pretty much a one pan meal, that you put in the oven and wait until done. Perfect for a busy weeknight!
For this recipe, I don’t use any spices because fennel, rosemary, and thyme do all the work. They provide such a beautiful aroma, that you don’t need any other flavors.
If you love easy healthy recipes, check these ones too:
- Sweet Potato and Wild Rice Budha Bowl
- Healthy Chicken Avocado Wraps
- Instant Pot Rice Pilaf with Chicken and Vegetables
What vegetables to roast with chicken?
For this meal, I like to use potatoes and fennel, with a few rosemary springs.
However, if you follow a PALEO, KETO, or LOW-CARB diets and try to avoid starch products, you can easily substitute them with other vegetables of your choice.
Here’s a few alternatives you can use:
- Brussel Sprouts
How to make Roasted Chicken Skin crispy?
Before I bake the meat, I like to brown it first in a pan or an iron skillet on a high heat for about 5 minutes per side or until you get that beautiful golden crust.
That will help you to have the perfect crispy skin after the chicken is fully done!
How to bake Chicken Legs in the oven?
This recipe could not be any easier!
While the chicken legs are browning, we need to prep the vegetables.
If you are using small red potatoes, you just need to cut them into quarters. If your potatoes are large, cut them in 6 or more pieces. We want the chicken to be cooked the same time as the vegetables.
For the fennel, cut off the stalk and cut the bulb in 4-6 pieces (depending on the bulb size).
Put the vegetables on the baking sheet, add olive oil, salt and pepper, and mix it well.
Place the chicken skin-up on top of the potatoes. Put a few rosemary and thyme springs around it and bake.
Depending on the chicken and vegetable size, usually it takes 40 minutes at 450°F.
The chicken will come out crispy outside but juicy inside with a mouthwatering aroma from fennel, rosemary, and thyme!
Did you make this recipe?!? I’d love to know how it turned out! leave a comment and a rating below👇 thank you!
Roasted Chicken Legs with Potatoes and Fennel. (Whole30, Gluten-Free)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 chicken legs quarters
- 5 medium red potatoes unpeeled and sliced
- 1 large fennel stalk discarded and bulb sliced
- salt pepper to taste
- 3 springs rosemary
- 3 springs thyme
- Preheat the oven to 450°F.
- Wash and pat dry the chicken leg quarters. Season them with salt and pepper, pour over 1 tablespoon of olive oil and rub it in from both sides.
- Preheat a pan over high heat and place the chicken with the skin down. Brown the chicken on both sides about 5 minutes per side, until you get a beautiful golden brown color.
- Combined chopped potatoes and fennel on a baking sheet, add remaining olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Mix.
- Place browned chicken with the skin up on top of the potatoes, put the rosemary and thyme on top of the potatoes, and put the baking sheet in the oven.
- Bake for about 40 minutes until the vegetables are cooked through and the chicken internal temperature reaches 175-180°F.