Russian Rogaliki filled with jam, also known as Rugelach are soft and flaky cookies.
- 2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tbsp active dry yeast
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup jam or fruit preserves
- 1 cup sugar powder
- In a mixing bowl sift 2 cups of flour and mix it with active dry yeast. Cut 2 sticks of cold butter in small pieces and add it to the flour. You can use a fork or your hands to mix butter with the flour and yeast until it is crumbly.
- In a separate bowl mix 1 cup of sour cream, sugar, 2 egg yolks and vanilla. Add it to the dry ingredients, and mix it again.
- Add the rest of the flour and knead the dough until it is smooth and doesn’t stick to your hands.
- Divide the dough into 6 even pieces and wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate it for an hour.
- When the dough is ready, take one ball and roll it to about 2-3 mm thick. Using a pizza cutter cut it in 12 equal pieces.
- Put a little bit of jam on the outside edges of each piece and roll it in.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and bake Rogaliki for 15-20 min, until they have a beautiful gold color.