Warm Rustic Peach Galette with a scoop of vanilla ice cream on top is a very simple but mouthwatering summer treat. This easy dessert recipe is perfect for any celebration.
Summertime is the most beloved time for the bakers, as it allows for the incorporation of all types of delicious seasonal fruits and berries. Everybody is waiting for the end of Spring to gather fresh rhubarb and indulge strawberry rhubarb pie. Then, we patiently wait for blueberries, raspberries, and cherries to ripen. There are so many sweet treats that I would like to make; I wish the summer would never end!
If you like summer desserts, please check these recipes:
- Summer Strawberry Cake Roll
- Classic Strawberry Shortcake
- Greek Yogurt Panna Cotta with Strawberry Sauce
One of the most anticipated fruits for me during this warm sunny season are peaches. I love how its aroma, texture, and flavor enriches any dessert. Any simple pie or a cake will be enhanced by this beautiful red and yellow fragrant fruit.
Rustic Peach Galette originated in France and became one of the most popular peach desserts of its time. It is a very simple, free form crusty pie filled with luscious ripe peaches. Usually it is served warm, right out of the oven, with a scoop of vanilla ice cream on top. This addition of ice cream melts through the warm pie and makes it mouthwatering.
To make the pie crust, you will need only 2 main ingredients (all-purpose flour and cold unsalted butter), plus salt and water. I like to use my hands to mix the ingredients, though to ease the process, you can use a pastry cutter or a food processor. When the dough is done, shape it in the form of a disk and refrigerate for about an hour.
For the filling, pit and slice the peaches and mix them with granulated sugar and corn starch. Assemble the galette, brush the crust with egg wash and sprinkle sugar over the top. Bake it at 400°F for about 25-30 minutes, until the crust is beautiful golden brown color. Serve it warm with a scoop of vanilla ice cream on top.
Did you make this recipe?!? I’d love to know how it turned out! leave a comment and a rating below👇 thank you!
Rustic Peach Galette
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter cold, cubed
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 2 large ripe peaches
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon corn starch
- 1 egg for egg wash
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar to sprinkle on top
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk all-purpose flour and salt. Using your hands, or a pastry cutter, mix the cold cubed butter into the flour until coarse, pea-sized crumbs.
- Add 2/3 of the water and mix it. If the dough is still dry, add the rest of the water until the dough is moistened and can be shaped. Gently knead the dough until it comes together, shape it in the form of a disk and refrigerate for about an hour.
- Preheat the oven to 400°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat. Set aside.
- For the filling, pit and slice the peaches and mix them with granulated sugar and corn starch.
- Roll the dough on a lightly floured surface until about ½ inch thick. Place the peaches in the middle in a circle, leaving 2-3 inches from the edges. Gently fold the edges of the dough over the peaches.
- Brush the crust with egg wash and sprinkle granulated sugar over the top.
- Bake it at 400°F for about 25-30 minutes, until the crust is beautiful golden brown color. Serve it warm with a scoop of ice cream on top. Enjoy!