These rich, fudgy, and chewy S’mores Brownies are loaded with marshmallow, chocolate chips, and graham crackers. It is an easy chocolate dessert that is perfect for the holiday season.
If you are looking for a healthy recipe today, you are definitely on the wrong page! I don’t think that S’mores Brownies are supposed to be healthy, but absolutely luscious! The brownie has a scrumptious gooey texture, topped with marshmallow, chocolate, and graham crackers. There is no better combination!
This brownie recipe is based on my old recipe for Double Chocolate Brownies, but I took it to a whole new level. It is more chocolaty and gooey, so the real brownie “experts” (like my fiancée) will appreciate it.
Do you know when and how brownies were created? I think it is quite an interesting story to tell. According to legend, chocolate became more popular in the United States during the 17th and 18th centuries. In 1893 a Boston-based chocolatier Walter Lowney presented his first chocolate bars at the Columbian Exposition in Chicago. During this event, Bertha Potter Palmer, a wealthy socialite, asked a chef at the Palmer House Hotel in Chicago “to create a dessert that could be tucked into a box lunch for ladies to eat while attending the Columbian Exposition”. As the result, the Palmer House Brownie was created, “a super-rich, fudgy-chocolate confection” topped with walnuts and an apricot glaze. It is amazing that if you go to this hotel today, you will still see that original brownie on the menu.
As far as we know today, the first time a brownie recipe had been published was in the Service Club of Chicago’s 1904 Cook Book. The recipe was called “Bangor Brownies” and was posted in the “Candy” section. However, different types of brownies were published later in the 20th century by famous cooks, like Eleanor P. Quimby in Home Cookery, Fannie Farmer in Boston Cooking-School Cook Book, Maria Willett Howard in Lowney’s Cook Book, and many others.
I cannot even count all the different versions of brownies that exist today. But I am very happy to add my S’more Brownies recipe to this collection. I think they are perfect for the holiday season and because they are so easy to make, you can have fun preparing the recipe with your kids.
If you like chocolate desserts, please check these recipes:
These rich, fudgy, and chewy S’more Brownies are loaded with marshmallow, chocolate chips, and graham crackers. It is an easy chocolate dessert that is perfect for the holiday season.
Ingredients for Brownies:
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 10 ounces semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3/4 cup all purpose flour
Ingredients for Topping:
- 2 cups mini marshmallows
- 1 cup milk chocolate chips
- 1 cup graham crackers, broken into small pieces
- Preheat the oven to 350°F, line an 8×8 square baking pan with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a medium size saucepan, add unsalted butter and semi-sweet chocolate chips. Melt it over low/medium heat and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat together eggs and granulated sugar until it is pale and smooth consistency. Add melted butter/chocolate mixture and mix well. Add vanilla extract and salt and mix again.
- Add dry ingredients (cocoa powder and flour) to the mixture and fold it in until well combined.
- Spread the batter evenly in the baking pan and bake at 350°F for 30 minutes. Take it out of the oven and top it with mini marshmallows, milk chocolate chips, and graham crackers. Put it back to the oven for another 7-10 minutes until the marshmallow puff up and get golden brown in color. Make sure you monitor it, as it takes seconds to burn marshmallow.
- Take it out of the oven and let it cool off for about 15-20 minutes before cutting in pieces and serve. Enjoy!