Twix Cookies are famous shortbread cookies topped with creamy caramel and milk chocolate. This delicious homemade cookie recipe tastes exactly like the classic twix cookie bars!
- 1 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup caramel sauce
- 1 cup milk or semi-sweet chocolate chips
How to make Cookies.
- In a standing mixer with a paddle attachment put 1 cup room temperature butter and ¾ cup granulated sugar. Beat on a medium/high speed for a few minutes until its pale and fluffy.
- Add 1 large egg and 1 tsp vanilla extract and beat again until well incorporated.
- Add dry ingredients (3 cups all-purpose flour, 1 tsp baking powder, and ¼ tsp salt) in 2 steps and mix it on low speed.
- When done, slightly knead the dough so it will come together in a ball, wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 2 hours or overnight.
- When ready to bake the cookies, take the dough out of the fridge and let it sit on the counter for 10-15 minutes before rolling. It will help the dough to get softer and be more elastic.
- Put the dough between two sheets of parchment paper, then roll the rolling pin over the parchment paper. It will keep the dough smooth and will not stick.
- Cut the cookies out with a round cookie cutter (mine is 6 cm (2.4 inches) in diameter). I like them to be around ¼ inches thick.
- Put the cut-out cookies on a baking sheet with parchment paper and refrigerate for another 10 minutes.
- Bake at 350˚F for about 10 minutes or until the edges are slightly golden color.
- Take them out of the oven and let them sit on the baking sheet for 10 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool off completely.
How to assemble the cookies.
- When the cookies are cooled off, we can start assembling them with caramel and chocolate.
- For the caramel, whether you are using a store-bought or a homemade (check the recipe HERE), we need to reheat it just a little bit to make it spreadable. Put 1 cup caramel sauce in a microwave for 10-15 seconds, then stir. Repeat until you get the right consistency.
- NOTE: Think about the consistency for royal icing. When you scoop and pour the caramel, it should create a ribbon.
- Using a butter knife, spread the caramel on top of the cookies, leaving just ¼ of the inch on the sides.
- For the chocolate, we also will need to microwave the chocolate chips until it’s smooth and spreadable.
- Put 1 cups chocolate chips in a microwave for 20 seconds, then stir. Repeat until you get the right consistency and the chocolate is smooth without any lumps.
- Using a clean butter knife, spread it on top of the caramel.
- Let the cookies sit on the counter for at least 30 minutes, so the caramel and chocolate will set.
- When done, place them in an air-tight container.
NOTE 1: It is vital to chill your dough before baking cut out cookies. This will prevent your cookies from spreading and will help them to keep their shape.
NOTE 2: When you roll out the dough it might be a bit sticky. You can use a little bit of flour to prevent it from sticking to the roller or a counter. However, I have a different trick that always helps me. Put the dough between two sheets of parchment paper, then roll over the parchment paper. The paper will keep the dough smooth and will not stick.
Keywords: Twix cookies