Chicken Macaroni Salad
This homemade Chicken Macaroni Salad is a classic pasta salad recipe that is packed with vegetables and creamy mayo-based dressing. It will be perfect for lunch, dinner, or a Summer cookout party!
Servings: 8 people
Ingredients for Dressing:
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
Ingredients for Salad:
- 8 oz dry elbow pasta
- 2 cups cooked chicken breast chopped
- ½ cup red bell pepper chopped
- ½ cup celery chopped
- ½ cup carrot grated
- ⅓ cup green onion chopped
Cook 8 oz elbow pasta until al dente. When done, drain and rinse under cold water, then let it cool off.
While the pasta is cooking, combine 1 cup mayonnaise, 2 tsp Dijon mustard, 1 tbsp white wine vinegar, ½ tsp garlic powder, 1 tsp granulated sugar, 1 tsp salt, ¼ tsp black pepper in a mixing bowl and mix until well combined.
In a large mixing bowl, add cooked and cooled elbow pasta, 2 cups cooked and chopped chicken breast, ½ cup chopped red bell pepper, ½ cup chopped celery, ½ cup grated carrots, ⅓ cup chopped green onion. Add the dressing and mix until combined.
- Cook the macaroni al dente. When you drain it, they still should have a bite. If you cook until they are fully cooked and then mix with the salad dressing, they will absorb extra moisture and will become too mushy.
- After the pasta is cooked, I like to rinse it under cold water. This extra step helps to stop the cooking process (so the pasta won’t get mushy) and prevent it from sticking.
- You can use any cooked chicken you have on hand (boiled, pan seared, baked, or rotisserie).
- I like to refrigerate this dish for at least an hour before serving. That will help all the flavors to meld together and absorb the dressing.
You can store it in refrigerator in an air-tight container for up to 3-4 days.
Calories: 366kcal | Carbohydrates: 24g | Protein: 15g | Fat: 23g | Saturated Fat: 4g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 42mg | Sodium: 522mg | Potassium: 237mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 1725IU | Vitamin C: 13mg | Calcium: 24mg | Iron: 1mg