Vanilla Strawberry Cake
This Vanilla Strawberry Cake is one of the most easy and delicious desserts to make! There is a soft and moist crumb inside, topped with juicy fresh strawberries. It will be a great Summer single layer cake that can be served for breakfast or dessert!
Servings: 6 people
- ½ cup unsalted butter room temperature
- ⅔ cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs room temperature
- ½ cup sour cream room temperature
- 1 tablespoon milk room temperature
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- 8-10 large strawberries halved
In a mixing bowl, add all the dry ingredients (1 cup all-purpose flour, ½ tsp baking powder, ½ tsp baking soda, and ⅛ tsp salt). Whisk and set aside.
In a larger mixing bowl, add ½ cup unsalted butter and ⅔ cup granulated sugar. Using a hand mixer or a spatula, cream it together until light and fluffy.
Add 2 eggs and 2 tsp vanilla extract and beat again. Then add ½ cup sour cream and 1 tbsp milk and mix until well combined.
Add dry ingredients to the wet ones, and using a spatula, fold it in. Try not to overmix the batter.
Pour the batter in a pre-greased 9-inch baking pan and spread evenly. Then top with halved fresh strawberries.
Bake at 350°F for about 35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
Let it sit on the counter for 10-20 minutes. Then sprinkle some powdered sugar on top before serving.
- Ingredients. Make sure you use room temperature ingredients, like butter, eggs, sour cream, and milk. That will help them to blend together better without curdling.
- Mixing. While you can mix the wet ingredients just using a spatula, I always prefer to use a hand mixer. The main reason is it beats the butter and sugar so much better and helps them to stay light and airy. That creates the base for the fluffy crumbs.
- Don’t overmix. It’s important not to overmix the batter, so it will stay light and fluffy. Overmixing makes the cake tough and chewy.
- Topping. If you like a crispy topping you can sprinkle some course sugar over the berries before baking.
- How to store. You can store this cake covered at the room temperature for a day or refrigerate for 2 days.
Calories: 366kcal | Carbohydrates: 40g | Protein: 5g | Fat: 21g | Saturated Fat: 12g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 6g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 105mg | Sodium: 215mg | Potassium: 104mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 24g | Vitamin A: 677IU | Vitamin C: 10mg | Calcium: 62mg | Iron: 1mg