Amaretti Cookies are traditional Italian biscuits with soft and chewy marzipan-like center and crispy edges. Made with almond flour, egg whites, and almond extract, this recipe is naturally gluten-free, aromatic, and very easy to make.
Servings: 15 cookies
- 2 ¼ cups almond flour
- ⅔ cup granulated sugar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 large egg whites room temperature
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- ½ teaspoon almond extract
- ½ cup powdered sugar
Preheat the oven to 300˚F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
In a mixing bowl, whisk together 2 ¼ cups almond flour, ⅔ cup granulated sugar, 1 tsp lemon zest, and ¼ tsp salt.
In a separate mixing bowl, using a mixer, beat 2 large egg whites until stiff peaks.
Then transfer the beaten egg whites to the dry ingredients, add ½ tsp almond extract, and using a spatula, fold it in until well combined.
Prepare ½ cup powdered sugar on a plate.
Using a 1 ½ tbsp ice cream scoop or a regular spoon, scoop out the cookie dough and roll it into a 1-inch ball. Roll it in powdered sugar to cover from all the sides and transfer to a baking sheet. Repeat the same with the rest of the dough.
Bake at 300˚F for 30-35 minutes or until the tops are set and cracked and the bottom is light golden color. Then take out of the oven and let sit on the counter for about 10-15 minutes, they will finish setting and baking inside. Then transfer to a wire rack and let cool off completely.
- Egg whites. When mixing egg whites with the dry ingredients, you don’t have to be too gentle. The egg whites won’t deflate. The dough will be sticky and you just need to mix it well, so all the ingredients are well combined.
- Rolling the cookies. When you roll the cookie dough into the balls, the dough will be quite sticky. To prevent them from sticking too much to your hands, you can dust your fingers and palms with some powdered sugar and then roll the dough.
- Baking. If you like your cookies to be more gooey and have more of a marzipan texture inside, you can bake them for just 30 minutes. If you like them to have a more crunch outside and cakey texture inside, bake them for 35 minutes.
- How to store. You can keep them in an air-tight container on the counter for 4-5 days.
Serving: 1cookie | Calories: 147kcal | Carbohydrates: 17g | Protein: 4g | Fat: 8g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 46mg | Potassium: 7mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 13g | Vitamin A: 1IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 36mg | Iron: 1mg