White Bean Soup Recipe
Make this hearty White Bean Soup using your pantry ingredients! This delicious comforting meal is healthy, plant-based, easy to prep, and budget friendly!
Servings: 4 people
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ large onion (or 1 small onion) finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 large carrot chopped
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- 28 oz cannellini beans drained and rinsed
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups spinach
- Parmesan cheese grated, for serving
In a large pot or a Dutch Oven, heat up 2 tbsp olive oil over medium heat. Add chopped onions and cook until caramelized, about 10 minutes.
Add minced garlic and stir for about 30 seconds to release the aroma. Then add chopped carrots and cook for another minute.
Add seasoning (½ tsp salt, ¼ tsp black pepper, 1 tsp dried oregano, and ½ tsp dried thyme), and stir in.
Add 28 oz drained and rinsed cannellini beans, pour in vegetable broth and water. Bring everything to boil, then reduce the heat to low and simmer for about 20 minutes.
Add 2 cups spinach and cook for another few minutes until it wilts.
I like to serve this soup with some grated Parmesan cheese which adds more flavor and creaminess to the soup.
Store. If you have any leftovers, put them in an air-tight container and refrigerate for up to 3-4 days.
Freeze. You can freeze it in an air-tight container for up to 2 months. To thaw, leave it in the fridge overnight, the reheat in a pot or a sauce pan over medium heat.
- You can add more vegetables to this soup, like zucchini, potatoes, celery, and even canned tomatoes.
- If you don’t have fresh spinach, feel free to use frozen spinach. Just make sure to defrost it before adding to the soup.
- For a vegan option, skip Parmesan cheese completely or you can use vegan Parmesan.
Serving: 4servings | Calories: 237kcal | Carbohydrates: 38g | Protein: 12g | Fat: 7g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 1687mg | Potassium: 162mg | Fiber: 11g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 4455IU | Vitamin C: 7mg | Calcium: 158mg | Iron: 5mg