Instant Pot Mac and Cheese Recipe
This is the best creamy Mac and Cheese recipe that you can make in an Instant Pot in just 20 minutes from start to finish! The pasta is perfectly cooked and loaded with rich and creamy cheesy sauce.
Servings: 8 servings
- 16 oz elbow pasta uncooked
- 4 cups chicken stock
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 cup whole milk room temperature
- 2 cups sharp cheddar cheese shredded
- 1 cup Colby Jack cheese shredded
Put pasta, chicken stock, butter, and salt in a pot. Press down with wooden spoon,don’t stir.
Cover with a lid and cook on manual high pressure for 4 minutes. When done, do a quick pressure release.
Add milk and stir. Add cheese a handful at a time, and stir until smooth consistency.
What other cheeses to use? My favorite combo is sharp cheddar and Colby jack. You also can use gruyere, gouda, fontina, mozzarella, Monterey jack, and even a little bit of parmesan cheese.
How to store? For me, this recipe always tastes better right after you make it. But if you have any leftovers, you can put them in an air-tight container and refrigerate for 3-4 days.
How to reheat? Because pasta absorbs liquid as it sits, you will need to add a few tablespoons of water or milk when reheating it. It will help to loosen it up and prevent from drying. If you are reheating in a microwave, just add liquid right into the bowl and reheat in 30 seconds increments, stirring in between.
- When releasing the pressure, I like to cover the valve with a towel. Because the pasta is starchy, this process might be a bit messy.
- If you like your pasta more cheesy and gooey, feel free to add an additional ½ cup of milk and 1 more cup of shredded cheese.
- For more flavor, you can add some ½ teaspoon of garlic and onion powder each. It won’t be overpowering and will add more complexity to the dish.
- If you don’t have chicken stock or broth, you can use just water. Although the stock will provide more flavor.
- For the cheese, I always recommend using a freshly grated cheese. Just buy it in a block and grate it yourself. You will see a big difference.
Serving: 1serving | Calories: 476kcal | Carbohydrates: 49g | Protein: 22g | Fat: 21g | Saturated Fat: 12g | Cholesterol: 60mg | Sodium: 609mg | Potassium: 341mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 5g | Vitamin A: 584IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 367mg | Iron: 1mg