Green Bean Almondine
Green Bean Almondine (also known as Amandine) is a classic French side dish with tender sauteed beans tossed in light lemon/butter sauce and toasted almonds. This easy healthy recipe takes minimal effort toprep and will be a great addition to any meal.
Servings: 6 servings
- ⅓ cup raw sliced almonds
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 pound French green beans trimmed
- ¼ teaspoon salt
Put ⅓ cup sliced almonds in a skillet and toast them over medium/low heat for about 8-10 minutes or until the almonds are a light golden/brown color.
Add 2 tbsp butter, stir in, and let it cook for a couple of minutes until it’s light brown in color and has a nutty aroma.
Transfer the butter/almond mixture to a bowl and stir in 1 tbsp lemon juice.
Add 1-pound French beans, ¼ cup water, and ¼ tsp salt to the same skillet, cover with the lid and cook for about 5-8 minutes or until almost tender. Don’t forget to stir occasionally, so the beans don’t get burnt.
Remove the lid and cook for a few more minutes or until the water evaporates.
Add the butter/almond mixture back to the pan and toss.
Transfer to a serving plate and serve.
- I prefer to use French beans (haricot vert) in this recipe, because they are thinner and more tender. Also, they usually come pre-trimmed in a package, which reduces the prepping time.
- Make sure you toast the nuts and cook butter on low/medium heat, not to burn them. Always keep an eye on them and stir occasionally.
- If you want more aroma, you can add some finely chopped shallots and minced garlic to this recipe. After you are done with almond/butter mixture, transfer it to a bowl. Add another tablespoon of butter to the pan, add shallots and cook for a few minutes. Then add minced garlic and cook for about 30 seconds. Then add beans and cook according to the instructions.
- If you want the beans zestier, you can add more lemon juice or lemon zest to the butter mixture.
Serving: 1serving | Calories: 133kcal | Carbohydrates: 8g | Protein: 4g | Fat: 10g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Cholesterol: 10mg | Sodium: 102mg | Potassium: 252mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 638IU | Vitamin C: 10mg | Calcium: 63mg | Iron: 1mg