Tortellini in Tomato Sauce
Make your entire meal in just 15 minutes! These cheese Tortellini in delicious creamy tomato sauce is a quick and easy dinner recipe that will be perfect for a busy night!
Servings: 4 people
- 16 ounces cheese tortellini
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 ½ cups milk
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 15 ounces crushed tomatoes
- 2 cups baby spinach
- ½ cup Parmesan cheese freshly grated
In a large pot, boil water and cook tortellini according to the package instructions. Then drain and set aside.
While it’s cooking, preheat a large skillet over medium heat. Add 2 tbsp butter, 3 tbsp all-purpose flour, 1 tsp garlic powder, 1 tsp onion powder, and ¼ tsp red pepper flakes. Stir for about 30 seconds.
Then add 1 ½ cups milk and ½ cup heavy cream. Stir and cook until it starts to simmer.
Add crushed tomatoes, stir and cook for about 5 minutes until simmers. Taste and season with salt and pepper to taste.
Add 2 cups spinach and cook for a couple of minutes until it starts to wilt. Stir is ½ cup grated Parmesan cheese.
Add cooked tortellini and stir.
- The whole meal comes together very quickly, so it’s important to have all your ingredients prepped.
- Always read the cooking instructions for your tortellini. Different brands might have slightly different cooking time. You don’t want to over cook them, because they will be too mushy and will fall apart.
- Don’t skip the seasoning and red pepper flakes. They add a lot of flavor to the dish.
- I prefer to use canned crushed tomatoes, but you also can use tomato sauce and diced tomatoes.
If you have any leftovers, transfer then to an air-tight container and refrigerate for up to 2 days. You can reheat it in the microwave or on the stove. I like to add 1-2 tablespoons of water while reheating to loosen up the sauce.
Calories: 673kcal | Carbohydrates: 68g | Protein: 28g | Fat: 33g | Saturated Fat: 17g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 117mg | Sodium: 899mg | Potassium: 574mg | Fiber: 7g | Sugar: 13g | Vitamin A: 2530IU | Vitamin C: 14mg | Calcium: 488mg | Iron: 5mg