Tart Lemon Curd
Make this smooth and creamy homemade tart Lemon Curd froms cratch! This incredibly easy recipe requires only 5 simple ingredients and comes together in 10 minutes. It will be complimentary for many desserts, like cakes, scones, tarts, and many more!
Servings: 2 cups
- 4 large eggs room temperature
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup lemon juice freshly squeezed, about 2 lemons
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest from 1 lemon
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup unsalted butter cubed
In a medium size saucepan, beat together 4 eggs and ½ cup granulated sugar.
Add ½ cup lemon juice, 1 tbsp lemon zest, and ¼ tsp salt, then beat again.
Place the saucepan over low/medium heat and cook about 5 minutes or until it thickens to the desired consistency. You need to whisk it all the time while cooking.
Turn off the heat and add ½ cup cubed butter and stir it in until the butter is completely melted and incorporated.
Strain the curd through a fine mesh sieve into a bowl and let it cool off. Then transfer to a jar and refrigerate.
- DON’T USE packaged bottled lemon juice in this recipe, it won’t work. The juice should be freshly squeezed.
- Always use a strainer. While you cook the curd, some parts of the egg might cook and become the lumps. To make sure your curd is smooth and creamy, it’s better to strain before it’s cool off and transferred to a jar.
- How to store? When it’s cooled off, transfer to a jar. It will keep fresh in the fridge for up to a week.
- Can I freeze it? Yes. You can freeze it for up to 3 months. To thaw just leave it in the refrigerator overnight.
Serving: 1cup | Calories: 741kcal | Carbohydrates: 55g | Protein: 12g | Fat: 55g | Saturated Fat: 32g | Trans Fat: 2g | Cholesterol: 449mg | Sodium: 423mg | Potassium: 204mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 52g | Vitamin A: 1899IU | Vitamin C: 27mg | Calcium: 71mg | Iron: 2mg