Old Fashioned Goulash Recipe
This easy cheesy Old Fashioned Goulash recipe is an ultimate comfort food! Also known as American Goulash, this classic hearty meal made with ground beef, elbow macaroni, and crushed tomatoes will be a perfect dinner idea on a budget!
Servings: 4 people
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 pound ground beef
- 28 ounces crushed tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- ½ tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 ¼ cups elbow macaroni dried
- 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese grated
Preheat a large skillet over medium/high heat. Add 2 tbsp olive oil and 1 chopped onion. Sauté for about 5-7 minutes or until the onion is softened and translucent. Then add 2 minced garlic cloves and stir for 30 seconds.
Add 1 pound ground beef, break it in smaller pieces and cook for about 10 minutes or until it’s cooked through and there is no pink color inside.
Add 28 oz crushed tomatoes, 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce, and the seasoning (½ tsp Italian seasoning, ½ tsp salt, and ¼ tsp black pepper). Stir and let it simmer on low heat for about 15-20 minutes.
While the sauce is cooking, boil a pot of water and cook 1 ¼ cups elbow macaroni according to the instructions.
Then drain the pasta and stir into the meat sauce.
Now you can turn off the heat and fold in 1 cup grated sharp cheddar cheese.
Serve and enjoy!
- Ground Beef. I prefer to use 85% lean ground beef as it has the best balance of flavor. Although, 90% lean beef will also work in this recipe.
- Crushed Tomatoes. Fire-roasted tomatoes are my favorite! They can add a lot of flavor to the dish without doing extra work.
- Worcestershire sauce. Don’t skip this ingredient! It adds a perfect touch to the recipe, bringing it to a whole new level!
- Macaroni. When I cook pasta in a separate pot, I prefer to slightly undercook it. Since we then add it to the simmered meat sauce, it will continue to cook and won’t get too mushy.
- How to store. It will stay fresh on the fridge for up to 3-4 days, stored in an air-tight container.
Calories: 708kcal | Carbohydrates: 52g | Protein: 36g | Fat: 40g | Saturated Fat: 16g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 2g | Monounsaturated Fat: 18g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 110mg | Sodium: 1141mg | Potassium: 1104mg | Fiber: 6g | Sugar: 12g | Vitamin A: 726IU | Vitamin C: 21mg | Calcium: 326mg | Iron: 6mg