Whole Roasted Chicken baked in the oven is crispy outside while tender and juicy inside. The recipe is super easy and comes out perfect every single time! Plus, it’s Whole 30, Paleo, and Keto diets approved!
For a long time, I was afraid to roast a whole chicken, thinking that it’s quite complicated and it will come out dry. I never knew that it’s one of the easiest recipes you will ever find! All you need is to season the meat with your favorite spices and put in the oven.
But to get the best results, make sure you buy a good quality organic meat!
Now, let me show you how to roast it with no effort at all, so it will come out perfect every time! The skin will be crispy with a beautiful golden color while staying juicy and tender inside!
I love when meat has an aroma from different herbs and spices. I use my own blend that works the best for me, but feel free to play around with the flavors and add some of your favorite spices.
For this seasoning blend we will 6 ingredients:
- Dried oregano
- Dried thyme
- Smoked paprika
- Cayenne pepper
- Extra-Virgin Olive Oil
In a small mixing bowl, mix together salt, dried oregano, dried thyme, smoked paprika, cayenne pepper, and extra-virgin olive oil. Then set aside.
How to roast
To prep the chicken, we need to rinse it and remove the giblet bag. Pad dry with paper towel and place on a plate.
Pour the seasoning mix over the skin, and using your hands, rub it all over.
Cut a lemon in four pieces and place it inside the cavity. Then, using twine, tie the legs together.
If you want, you can also add some onion, garlic, or thyme springs and put it in the cavity together with the lemons.
Place it in a baking dish or a cast iron skillet and bake uncovered for about 90 minutes for a 3 ½ pound chicken.
How long to roast
The timing really depends on the oven temperature and the meat weight. With my experience, I found that 375°F will give you the best results. Every time I make this recipe, it came out perfect; crispy outside while still being tender and juicy inside.
When the chicken is done, check its internal temperature using a meat thermometer. It should be at least 165°F. Though, I like mine to be at least 175-180°F to make sure it’s all cooked through.
If your bird is 3 pounds, cook it for at least 1 ¼ hours, then check the temperature with the thermometer.
I usually use a chicken closer to 3 ½ pounds and cook it for 1 ½ hours. Perfect results EVERY SINGLE TIME!
If your bird is 4 pounds or more, cook it for at least 1 ¾ hours, then check the temperature.
How to know if it’s undercooked
It is crucial to make sure that your chicken is fully cooked before eating it.
Here are a few tips to make sure it’s safe to eat:
- Make sure that the internal temperature is higher than 165°F (I prefer to have at least 175°F).
- If you see that the meat on the bones have pinkish color, the chicken probably needs to be cooked longer.
- Make sure that the juices from the meat run out clear without any pink color.
I like to serve this meal with some side dishes like these Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes, Roasted Vegetables, Oven Roasted Butternut Squash, Roasted Broccoli with Parmesan, Green Bean Almondine, or BLT Pasta Salad.
Did you make this recipe?!? I’d love to know how it turned out! leave a comment and a rating below👇 thank you!
Easy Juicy Whole Roasted Chicken
- 3 ½ pounds whole chicken
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- ½ tablespoon salt
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- ⅓ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 lemon cut in 4 pieces
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- In a small mixing bowl, mix together salt, dried oregano, dried thyme, smoked paprika, cayenne pepper, and extra-virgin olive oil and set aside.
- Rinse the chicken and remove the giblet bag. Pad dry with paper towel and place on a plate.
- Pour the seasoning mix over the chicken, and using your hands, rub it all over the skin.
- Cut a lemon in four pieces and place it inside the cavity of the chicken. Then, using twine, tie the legs together.
- Place it in a baking dish or a cast iron skillet and bake uncovered at 375°F for about 90 minutes.