These Sugar Cookie Cups with Lemon Curd are a perfect idea for summer recipes. Crunchy sugar cookie cups, tart and citrusy lemon curd, and light and creamy whipped cream give a winning combination of flavors that will be a show-stopper at any summer party.
It’s been awhile since I shared any new recipe on this blog, though I was trying to be more consistent, posting two recipes a week. But everyone needs a vacation, which for me is at a very beautiful place right next to the water, where I can recharge with more fresh ideas to share with you in the upcoming months.
Before vacation ends, I have a great recipe for you that I made a while ago and never had a chance to post. It is a perfect summer recipe that you can make to treat your family or friends during a summer party event. These refreshing mini Cookie Cups with Lemon Curd and creamy whipped cream are fun to make and are soooo delicious! Though I was always a fan of any lemon desserts, these particular lemon cookie cups are out of this world!
Ideally, I like to make and assemble Cookie Cups with Lemon Curd filling a day before and top them out with chilled whipped cream before serving. That allows me to focus on other important last minute preparations and entertaining the guests.
Please check my other summer recipes:
How to make Cookie Cups with Lemon Curd
I usually start with preparing lemon curd filling. If you never made it before, you will be nicely surprised how easy it is to make. I think it is a necessity to have a good easy lemon curd recipe as you can use it in so many treats, like cake filling, cupcakes, lemon cups dessert, fruit tarts, lemon meringue pie cups, puff pastry, and so many other baking goodies.
While the lemon curd is chilling in the refrigerator, you can start to prepare the cookie cups. To make them, you can use a regular cookie dough from a store, or preferably, use my basic cookie cups recipe and make it from scratch, as it takes no time at all.
To make cup shapes, it is easy to make these cookie cups using a mini muffin tin. Scoop a tablespoon of the cookie dough in a mini muffin tin, and using your fingers, spread the dough creating a deep well. I also like to put muffin tins with premade cookie cups in the freezer for about 10 minutes, as it helps the dough to stay in shape and not spread too much while baking. However, if your cookie cups baked as regular mini muffins without a well, you can just carve small wells using a small knife.
To assemble these beautiful lemon cups, take completely cooled cookie cups and fill them with the chilled lemon curd, about 1 teaspoon each. Then top it off with some whipped cream. As an option, you can decorate these cookie cups with berries or mint leaves.
These Cookie Cups with Lemon Curd are a perfect idea for summer recipes. Crunchy cookie cups, tart and citrusy lemon curd, and light and creamy whipped cream give a winning combination of flavors that will be a show-stopper at any summer party.
Ingredients for Lemon Curd:
- 4 large eggs
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- zest from 1 lemon
- 1/2 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
Ingredients for Cookie Cups:
- 2 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Ingredients for Whipped Cream:
- 1/2 cup heavy cream, cold
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
How to make Lemon Curd:
- In a medium saucepan, beat together eggs and granulated sugar, until smooth with a pale color. Add salt, lemon zest, and lemon juice and whisk it well.
- Place the saucepan over medium heat and add chopped butter to the mixture. Constantly stirring, cook the mixture until butter is melted and the curd is thickened.
- Bring the curd to a gentle simmer, then take it from the stove and strain it through a fine-mesh sieve into a bowl. Let the mixture cool off for about 10 minutes, then cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for about 2 hours.
How to make Cookie Cups:
- Preheat the oven to 350°F, spray 3 (12 counts) mini-muffins tins with cooking non-stick spray and set aside.
- In a medium mixing bowl, sift together flour, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- In a standing mixer, using a paddle attachment, cream together on a high speed butter and granulated sugar for about 3 minutes until light and fluffy. Add eggs and vanilla extract and mix again until well incorporated.
- Add dry ingredients to the mixture until just combined.
- Using an ice cream scoop (1 tablespoon size) scoop the dough into the mini-muffin tins. Using your fingers, spread the dough creating a deep well. Put the tins with dough in the freezer for 10 minutes before baking, so the dough won’t spread too much.
- Bake at 350°F for about 12-15 minutes, or until edges are golden color and the dough is set in the middle. When the cookie cups are ready, take them out of the oven and let them sit on the counter in the muffin tins for about 10 minutes. Remove them to a wire rack to cool off completely.
How to make Whipped Cream:
- In a standing mixer, using a whisk attachment, add cold heavy cream, powdered sugar, and vanilla extract. Beat the mixture on a high speed until stiff peaks, do not over beat.
- Refrigerate until ready to use.
How to assemble Cookie Cups with Lemon Curd:
- Using a teaspoon or a piping bag with a snipped tip, spoon (pipe) 1 teaspoon of the lemon curd in each cookie cup.
- Using a piping tip, pipe the whipping cream on top of the lemon curd.
- Optional: You can garnish it with berries or mint leaves.
- Refrigerate in a covered container until ready to serve.
- Serving Size: 1 cookie cup
- Calories: 156
- Sugar: 9.3
- Sodium: 30.3
- Fat: 9.7
- Saturated Fat: 5.8
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 15.4
- Fiber: 0.2
- Protein: 2
- Cholesterol: 55.1
Keywords: Cookie Cups