This is the best recipe for a classic creamy Mac and Cheese! It’s super simple to make with two options: stovetop or baked.
What can be better for a comfort meal than a bowl of classic creamy Mac and Cheese! It’s so easy to make, either over a stovetop or a perfectly baked version. (I like to spend a bit of extra time and bake it to crisp the cheese on top!)
For all of you who follows a gluten-free diet, I use gluten-free pasta. It’s nice how many brands create alternatives that have an amazing taste and texture!
Also, this simple Mac and Cheese recipe is made without flour. Instead, I use tapioca starch to thicken up the sauce.
How to make cheese sauce for Mac and Cheese
It is all about the creamy cheese sauce! You want it to come out with a perfect consistency.
To thicken up the sauce, I use tapioca starch (flour) instead of a regular all-purpose flour.
We start with melting the butter in a sauce pan over medium heat.
After the butter is melted, add tapioca starch and whisk well until both ingredients are well combined. It should be thick (a bit doughy consistency). Cook it for about 1 minute, while whisking.
Then add the milk and whisk again. It will take you about 8 minutes to cook the sauce over medium heat. It is very important to stir, so you don’t have any lumps.
As soon as the sauce starts simmering, take the sauce pan off the heat and whisk in the shredded cheese.
I like to use sharp cheddar as it provides more flavor.
How to make Gluten-Free Mac and Cheese
Here you can have two options: stovetop or baked.
Stovetop Man and Cheese
This is the easiest way to make you favorite cheesy pasta! After your elbow pasta is cooked, strain it from the liquid and put the pasta back in the pot. Season with salt and pepper to taste and add the cheese sauce. Mix it all up and it’s done!
Baked Mac and Cheese
If you want to go to a whole new level, let’s bake this cheesy pasta to get a beautiful golden crust on top! (this is my favorite version!)
Complete all the steps for the stovetop pasta (drain, season with salt and pepper, mix is the cheese sauce). Then put everything in a greased 9×9 baking dish and bake at 400°F for about 20 minutes or until the top is golden/brown color.
Here are a few more Gluten-Free recipes you might like:
- Gluten-Free Pasta with Meat Sauce
- Gluten-Free Baked Ziti
- Dutch Oven Beef Stew
- Instant Pot Boneless Short Ribs
- Gluten-Free Instant Pot Chicken Soup
- Easy Mongolian Beef
Did you make this recipe?!? I’d love to know how it turned out! leave a comment and a rating below👇 thank you!
Gluten-Free Mac and Cheese
- 16 oz gluten-free elbow pasta
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons tapioca starch
- 2 cups milk
- 2 cups sharp cheddar cheese shredded
- Salt pepper to taste
- Cook pasta according to the instructions on the box. Drain after it’s cooked.
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Grease 9x9 baking dish and set aside.
- Meanwhile, melt the butter in a sauce pan. Add tapioca flour and whisk until well combined. Cook over medium heat for a minute, it should become think.
- Add milk and whisk again. Cook over medium heat for about 8 minutes or until the mixture starts to simmer. You need to whisk quite often not to have any lumps.
- When the mixture starts to simmer, take the sauce pan off the heat and add shredded cheese to the saucepan. Whisk well until the mixture is smooth consistency.
- Add the sauce to the cooked pasta and mix. Then transfer to the pre-greased baking dish.
- Bake at 400°F for 20 minutes or until the top of the pasta gets golden/brown color.