This delicious Lentil Soup made in an Instant Pot is a perfect comfort dinner recipe that is healthy and easy to make! You can make this one pot vegan soup in just 30 minutes!
If you are craving a warm comforting meal but want to keep it healthy, you need to try this amazing Lentil Soup that you can make in your pressure cooker in just 30 minutes! It’s packed with vegetables and legumes, with a beautiful aroma from dried oregano and thyme.
Pressure cookers are perfect for making soups. You’re not only making everything in one pot, but also reducing the cooking time. You can check my Instant Pot Italian Wedding Soup, Instant Pot Minestrone, Instant Pot Beef Barley Soup, Instant Pot Taco Soup, and Instant Pot Chicken Noodle Soup. And if you like make them on a stove top, check out White Bean Soup Recipe, Pasta e Fagioli Soup, and Beef Borscht.
Why you will love it
- Healthy. This is a great vegan meal that is packed with vegetables and legumes.
- Easy to make. It takes only 30 minutes from start to finish and you cook everything in one pot!
- Delicious. This dish is full of flavor, thanks to sautéing the veggies and using dried herbs.
- Meal prep friendly. Soup always tastes better the next day, making it perfect for meal prepping.
How to make Lentil Soup in Pressure Cooker
Sauté the vegetables.
Press the “Sauté” button and add a tablespoon of olive oil. Add chopped onions and sauté them for about 5-7 minutes or until they are soft and translucent. (Photos 1-3)
Add minced garlic and stir for about 30 seconds. Then add the carrots and stir again. Now we can turn off the “Sauté” function. (Photos 4-6)
Add the rest of the Ingredients.
Add rinsed lentils, crushed tomatoes, vegetable broth, water, dried oregano, and dried thyme and give it a stir. (Photos 7-12)
Close the lid and make sure that the venting knob is set to “Seal”.
Cook on manual high pressure for 10 minutes. When done, you can naturally release the pressure for about 10 minutes, then do a quick release.
Open the lid and stir. You can add some salt if needed.
How to make Lentil Soup on the stove
If you don’t have a Pressure Cooker, you can also make this delicious soup on a stove top. It will take a bit more time, but the results will be the same.
For this recipe, I prefer to use a pot with a thick bottom (like a 6 Qt Dutch Oven), because we need to sauté the vegetables.
Preheat the pot with olive oil over medium/high heat, then add the chopped onions. Sauté for about 5-7 minutes, then add minced garlic and cook for about 30 seconds, until it releases the aroma.
Add the carrots, and cook for couple of more minutes.
Add rinsed lentils, crushed tomatoes, vegetable broth, water, dried oregano, and dried thyme and give it a stir.
Bring it to boil, then reduce the heat to low. Put the lid on and simmer for about 35-40 minutes, occasionally stirring.
What else can I add to this soup?
This recipe is good on its own, but if you have any vegetables that need to be used, you can easily add them to this meal. Here are a few ideas:
- Sweet potatoes or regular potatoes. Just chop them in ½-inch cubes and add together with the lentils.
- Parsnips. Also chop it in ½-inch cubes.
- Diced tomatoes (used in place of the crushed tomatoes).
- Spinach. You can add it after the soup is cooked. Press the “Sauté” button, add spinach, and cook for a few minutes until it’s wilted.
Frequently Asked Questions
I prefer to use green lentils, but you also can use brown, red or yellow variety. But don’t use French lentils because they keep their shape and fail to make the soup creamy.
After it’s cooled off, transfer to an air-tight container. It will stay fresh in the fridge for up to 5 days.
This soup freezes really well. Keep it in an air-tight container or a zip-locked bag and freeze for up to 3 months. To thaw, put it in the fridge overnight, then reheat.
Instant Pot Lentil Soup Recipe
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small onion chopped
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 2 carrots chopped
- 2 cups dried green lentils rinsed
- 15 oz crushed tomatoes
- 4 cups vegetable broth low sodium
- 2 cups water
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- Press the “Sauté” button and add a tablespoon of olive oil. Add 1 finely chopped onion and sauté for about 5-7 minutes or until it's soft and translucent.
- Add minced garlic and stir for about 30 seconds. Then add 2 chopped carrots and stir again. Now we can turn off the “Sauté” function.
- Add 2 cups rinsed lentils, 15 oz crushed tomatoes, 4 cups vegetable broth, 2 cups water, ½ tsp dried oregano, and ½ tsp dried thyme and give it a stir.
- Close the lid and make sure that the venting knob is set to “Seal”.
- Cook on manual high pressure for 10 minutes. When done, you can naturally release the pressure for about 10 minutes, then do a quick pressure release.
- Open the lid and stir. You can add some salt if needed.