Carrot Zucchini Muffins are the best moist homemade muffins that are packed with carrots, zucchini, and walnuts. This recipe is super easy to make from scratch and will be a great breakfast idea!
What can be better than to start your day with a cup of freshly brewed coffee and your favorite homemade moist muffins, packed with carrots, zucchini, and walnuts.
These tasty Carrot Zucchini Muffins are similar to Morning Glory Muffins, but have more veggies than fruits. Even your picky kids will love them!
The best part, they are super easy to make and you don’t need to bother using your mixer!
I’ve tested these muffins three times this week and came up with the perfect combination of texture and sweetness.
How to make Carrot Zucchini Muffins from scratch
In a mixing bowl, whisk together vegetable oil, applesauce, raw cane sugar, eggs, and vanilla extract.
In a separate mixing bowl, mix the dry ingredients (flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon). Then add it to the wet ingredients and mix.
Add grated carrots, zucchini, and walnuts and mix until well combined.
Divide the mixture between 12 muffin tins and bake at 375°F for about 20-25 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out dry.
Take out of the oven and let them sit in the muffin tin for about 10 minutes, then move to a wire rack to cool off completely.
How to store muffins?
Did you notice that when you store muffins, their top become a bit soggy? The reason this happens is when we store muffins, their moisture migrates from inside to the surface. Because they are locked in a container or a sealed bag, the moisture cannot escape, so it stays on top, making it soggy.
Unfortunately, we cannot completely avoid this, but there is one trick that we can use!
I like to place a piece of paper towel on the bottom of the plastic container, put the muffins on top, place another paper towel on top, and then seal with the lid. This way the paper towel will help to absorb some portion of the moisture.
You can use the same technique for a zip-lock bag.
This way you can keep the muffins on a counter top for about 3 days, or in a refrigerator for about a week.
Can you freeze muffins?
When you freeze the muffins, I like to wrap them individually in a plastic wrap or foil, and then put in a zip-lock bag. You can freeze them for up to 2 months. When ready to eat, just take them out of the freezer, let them thaw in a room temperature for 20 minutes, then reheat in a microwave or an oven.
Check out these dessert ideas:
- Healthy Oatmeal Blueberry Muffins
- Blueberry Hand Pies
- Lemon Blueberry Bundt Cake
- Apple Cinnamon Coffee Cake
Did you make this recipe?!? I’d love to know how it turned out! leave a comment and a rating below👇 thank you!
Carrot Zucchini Muffins
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup unsweetened apple sauce
- 1 cup raw cane sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups carrots grated
- 1 1/2 cups zucchini grated
- 3/4 cup walnuts chopped
- Preheat oven to 375°F, line a muffin tin with cupcake liners and set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together vegetable oil, applesauce, raw cane sugar, eggs, and vanilla extract.
- In a separate mixing bowl, mix the dry ingredients (flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon). Then add it to the wet ingredients and mix.
- Add grated carrots, zucchini, and walnuts and mix until well combined.
- Divide the mixture between 12 muffin tins and bake at 375°F for about 20-25 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out dry.
- Take the out of the oven and let them sit in the muffin tin for about 10 minutes, then move to a wire rack to cool off completely.
- After you grate zucchini, make sure you squeeze all the juices out to limit excess liquid.
- If you want to make gluten-free muffins, you can substitute all-purpose flour with oat flour. That also will give you more texture.
- For sugar-free muffins, you can substitute raw sugar with honey or maple syrup.