This Instant Pot Mexican Rice recipe (also known as Spanish Rice) is a great easy side dish! Made with just 3 main ingredients and some spices, it comes out perfectly light and fluffy every single time!
This Instant Pot Mexican Rice is one of my favorite side dishes and a great compliment to many recipes, like Instant Pot Chicken Tacos, Instant Pot BBQ Ribs, Instant Pot Pulled BBQ Chicken, and Boneless BBQ Chicken Thighs. It’s light, flavorful, and you can use this recipe as a base to create your own flavors by adding more vegetables.
My favorite way to cook grains is in a pressure cooker. You just need to put all the ingredients in a pot, stir, press the button, and in about 20 minutes you will have perfectly cooked fluffy rice. I use the same method for cooking simple white rice (check out my recipe for How to cook White Rice in Instant Pot) and it comes out light and fluffy every single time.
How to make Mexican Rice in Instant Pot
Rinse the rice until the water runs clear, then drain.
Add the rice to the Instant Pot, together with 1 tsp chili powder, 1 tsp onion powder, ½ tsp garlic powder, 1 tsp salt, 8 oz tomato sauce, and 2 cups vegetable or chicken broth. Stir everything together.
Close the lid and make sure that the venting knob is sealed. Turn the manual high pressure on for 4 minutes. When done, let the natural pressure release for 10 minutes.
Then open the lid, and using a fork, fluff the rice.
Tips for best results
- Rinse. Make sure you properly rinse the grains until the water runs clean. We need to make sure that we remove the starch to make the rice fluffy and not clumpy or sticky.
Options and substitutions
- Rice. This recipe is made with long grain white rice. If you want to use brown rice, you will need to adjust the cooking time to 24 minutes and add ¼ cup additional water.
- Add more veggies. To make this side dish more nutritional, sometimes I like to add some veggies, like finely chopped onion, carrots, fresh tomatoes, peas, or corn.
- Salsa. To spice it up, you can substitute tomato sauce with your favorite salsa.
Frequently Asked Questions
You can store it in an air-tight container and keep in the fridge for about 4-5 days. Although, it is best to use it within 2 days.
Yes! When it’s completely cooled off, transfer to an air-tight container or a freezer-safe bag. You can safely freeze it for up to 1 month. You can easily reheat it in a microwave when needed.
Most likely when you rinsed the rice, you didn’t drain it well enough and ended up with having too much liquid. Make sure you drain it well and then add the amount of liquid according to the recipe.
More Side Dishes Ideas:
- Gruyere Potatoes au Gratin
- Oven Roasted Cherry Tomatoes
- Green Bean Almondine
- Loaded Mashed Potatoes Recipe
- Crispy Smashed Potatoes
- Instant Pot Mac and Cheese Recipe
- Roasted Parmesan Broccoli
Instant Pot Mexican Rice
- 2 cups Long-grain rice rinsed ad drained
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 8 ounces tomato sauce
- 2 cups vegetable or chicken broth
- Rinse the rice until the water runs clear, then drain.
- Add the rice to the Instant Pot, together with 1 tsp chili powder, 1 tsp onion powder, ½ tsp garlic powder, 1 tsp salt, 8 oz tomato sauce, and 2 cups vegetable or chicken broth. Stir everything together.
- Close the lid and make sure that the venting knob is sealed. Turn the manual high pressure on for 4 minutes. When done, let the natural pressure release for 10 minutes.
- Then open the lid, and using a fork, fluff the rice.