Kahlua Cupcakes are a perfect dessert idea for chocolate and coffee lovers, featuring rich and decadent chocolate and coffee flavor with a touch of Kahlua.
I think that cupcakes are one of my most favorite desserts as they are easy to make and you can create so many different flavors for any discerning palette. In addition, it is a perfect portion if you control your sweets. If you are a coffee lover like me, you should appreciate my Kahlua Cupcakes that have a rich and decadent chocolate and coffee flavor with a touch of Kahlua.
If you have read my previous recipes for chocolate cupcakes, like Chocolate Orange Cupcakes and Chocolate Cupcakes with Caramel, you already know that I like to add melted dark chocolate to them, which gives luscious richness to the dessert. However, this time I used instant espresso coffee and Kahlua coffee liqueur. Believe me, it brings these Kahlua Cupcakes to a whole new level!
I also add Kahlua to my buttercream frosting. Though, you can skip this step if you don’t want too much alcohol in your dessert. I add a little bit of heavy cream and beat it together in the very end for a few minutes, whipped cream helps the frosting to have more of an airy texture.
Did you make this recipe?!? I’d love to know how it turned out! leave a comment and a rating below👇 thank you!
Kahlua Chocolate Cupcakes
Ingredients for Cupcakes:
- 2/3 cup all purpose flour
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon Espresso coffee powder
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter softened
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 cup whole milk
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup Kahlua
Ingredients for Kahlua Chocolate Buttercream Frosting:
- 1 cup unsalted butter softened
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoons Kahlua
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- Preheat your oven to 350°F and line a muffin tin with 10 muffin liners inside. Set it aside.
- In a medium size mixing bowl sift all-purpose flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and espresso coffee powder together and set aside.
- In another large mixing bowl whisk together softened butter and granulated sugar (you can use a mixer or a whisk). Add eggs, sour cream, milk, and vanilla extract, and Kahlua, whisk until smooth consistency.
- Add dry ingredients into the mixture. Using a spatula, fold it together until smooth. Do not over mix.
- Divide this batter between 10 muffin liners. Bake at 350°F for 18-20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. When it is ready, take it out and set aside to cool off for about 10 minutes. Place the muffins on a wire rack.
- For the frosting, using a hand or stand mixer, beat softened butter, powdered sugar, cocoa powder, Kahlua, and heavy cream together on a medium/high speed for about 2-3 minutes until softened.
- When the cupcakes are completely cooled off, top them with the Kahlua Chocolate Frosting using a piping tip.