Chocolate Cupcakes with Caramel Filling and Vanilla Buttercream Frosting are moist and decadent mini cakes that you can make from scratch.
I think there is nothing better than homemade baking, starting from scratch. You can mix some basic ingredients together, bake it, with the final result of receiving a scrumptious dessert. The best part of it is seeing how your family and friends enjoy these treats that you made yourself. This is the best award for me!
Cupcakes are perfect treats for parties. You can create a few different flavors, toppings, and even fill them with some caramel, curd, or fudge. Everyone can enjoy their preferred flavors!
This recipe is one of my most favorites; chocolate cupcakes filled with homemade salted caramel and topped with rich vanilla buttercream frosting. Although it might look complicated, it is really easy to make.
How to make Chocolate Cupcakes
The base for these cupcakes is very similar to my popular Red Velvet Cupcakes. Instead of using a mix of sour cream and milk, I like to use some buttermilk. It will help your mini cakes stay soft and moist.
To start, I like to beat softened butter and sugar in my Kitchen Aid Stand Mixer for about 4-5 minutes, so it will have an airy texture and pale color. Then add the eggs, vanilla extract and buttermilk and beat it again for a minute or two, until it is well combined.
To fold in dry ingredients, I prefer to use a spatula. That way I won’t over mix the mixture, so it will stay light and airy.
How to make Salted Caramel
You can pre-make the caramel sauce a day or two in advance and just reheat in in a microwave or an oven when you are ready to use it. Pre-heating is not necessary but it will be easier for you to fill in the cupcakes and top the buttercream. Though, don’t re-heat it too much, just to the right consistency.
I like to make my own caramel filling at home, since it takes only 15 minutes and 4 ingredients. Check out the full recipe here with all tips and tricks: Easy Homemade Caramel Sauce.
How to make Vanilla Buttercream Frosting
I made two versions of these cupcakes, with Cream Cheese Frosting and Vanilla Buttercream Frosting. While I always prefer cream cheese over buttercream icing, I think that vanilla buttercream frosting is more classic for this recipe.
However, if you are a fan of Cream Cheese Icing like me, you can see how I make it with my Red Velvet Cupcakes.
For my Vanilla Buttercream Frosting, I start with beating softened butter on a high speed for a few minutes in my stand mixer, using a paddle attachment. Then add powdered sugar and mix again until well incorporated. Add heavy cream and vanilla extract, and beat on a high speed until it gets the right consistency. If it is too liquid, you can add more powdered sugar and mix one more time. Cover with some plastic wrap and keep in a refrigerator until ready to use.
MORE CUPCAKES IDEAS YOU MIGHT LIKE:
- Kahlua Cupcakes
- Birthday Cake Cupcakes
- Red Velvet Cupcakes
- Vanilla Chocolate Chip Cupcakes
- Blueberry Lemon Cupcakes
- Carrot Cake Cupcakes
MORE CHOCOLATE DESSERT IDEAS YOU MIGHT LIKE:
- Chocolate Mousse Pie
- Chocolate Bourbon Truffles
- Chocolate Chunk Cookies
- Julia Child’s Chocolate Mousse
- One Bowl Brownies
- No-Bake Brownie Bites
Did you make this recipe?!? I’d love to know how it turned out! leave a comment and a rating below👇 thank you!
Chocolate Cupcakes with Caramel Filling
Ingredients for Chocolate Cupcakes:
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter softened
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup buttermilk
Ingredients for Salted Caramel:
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 6 tablespoon unsalted butter cut in pieces
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon salt
Ingredients for Vanilla Buttercream Frosting:
- 1 1/2 cups unsalted butter room temperature
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
How to make Chocolate Cupcakes:
- Preheat your oven to 350°F and line a muffin tin with 12 muffin liners inside. Set it aside.
- In a medium size mixing bowl sift 1 cup all-purpose flour, 1/2 cup cocoa powder, 1/2 tsp baking powder, 1/2 tsp baking soda, and 1/8 tsp salt together. Set aside.
- Using a hand or stand mixer with a paddle attachment, cream together 1/2 cup butter and 1 cup sugar on a high speed for a few minutes, until the mixture is pale and fluffy.
- Add 2 eggs, 1 tsp vanilla extract, and 1 cup buttermilk and mix again until well incorporated.
- Using a spatula, fold in dry ingredients in 2 steps until just combined. Do not overmix!
- Divide this batter between 12 muffin liners. Bake at 350°F for 18-20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. When it is ready, take it out and set aside to cool off for about 10 minutes. Place the muffins on a wire rack.
How to make Salted Caramel:
- Heat 1 cup granulated sugar in a saucepan over medium heat. Stir constantly with a rubber spatula until the sugar melts and becomes amber in color. That might take about 5-7 minutes. Make sure not to burn it.
- When the sugar is melted, add 6 tbsp unsalted butter. Constantly stir while the butter melts and mixes together with the sugar.
- As soon as the butter is incorporated, stir in 1/2 cup heavy cream. The mixture will bubble because of the temperature difference. Continue to stir all the time.
- When the sauce is the right consistency and the color, remove it from the heat and add some salt (about a teaspoon).
How to make Vanilla Buttercream Frosting:
- In a stand mixer, using a paddle attachment, beat 1 1/2 cups room temperature butter until it gets light consistency.
- Add 1 cup powdered sugar and mix again until well incorporated.
- Add 1/4 cup heavy cream and 1 tsp vanilla extract, and beat on a high speed until it gets the right consistency.
- If it is too liquid, you can add more powdered sugar and mix one more time.
How to assemble Chocolate Cupcakes with Caramel Filling and Vanilla Buttercream Frosting:
- Using a knife or a cupcake corer, cut out small holes in the middle of cupcakes.
- Fill in with about 1-1 ½ teaspoon of salted caramel into the cupcakes holes.
- Using a 1 mm open start piping tip, top the cupcakes with the Vanilla Buttercream Frosting.
- Spoon a teaspoon of salted caramel on top of the frosting.