Vanilla Chocolate Chip Cupcakes with Buttercream Frosting are the best combination of everybody’s favorite flavors and sized for portion control. It is a great dessert for anyone who loves to mix these two classic ideas: chocolate and vanilla.
If you are a fan of Chocolate Chip Cookies or Muffins, you will definitely love my new Vanilla Chocolate Chip Cupcakes with Chocolate Buttercream Frosting. These are my two most beloved flavors in any type of dessert. Like classic black and white, these two flavors are always in “fashion” and will be a great choice for your after-dinner treat.
If you like cupcakes, please my other recipes:
I already mentioned in my previous posts that I love cupcakes due to their size for portion control. Seriously, if you give me a chocolate chip cake or cookies, I would definitely eat more than allowed. Here, I have my best flavors all in one cupcake that will fulfill my cravings and keep me happy.
I played around with chocolate buttercream frosting and made it super light and fluffy thanks to adding some whipped cream. The secret is, using a paddle attachment in a stand mixture, first beat the butter with powdered sugar and cocoa powder for about 5 minutes until it is light and fluffy, then add cold heavy cream and, using a whisk attachment, whisk it until well incorporated and has stiff peaks. I can tell you that it makes a big difference in the consistency, by creating a light and more airy texture.
Did you make this recipe?!? I’d love to know how it turned out! leave a comment and a rating below👇 thank you!
Vanilla Chocolate Chip Cupcakes with Buttercream Frosting
Ingredients for Vanilla Chocolate Chip Cupcakes:
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup unsalted butter softened
- ⅓ cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- ¼ cup sour cream
- ¼ cup whole milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
Ingredients for Chocolate Buttercream Frosting:
- ½ cup unsalted butter softened
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- ⅓ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon heavy cream cold
- Preheat your oven to 350°F and line a muffin tin with 9 muffin liners inside. Set it aside.
- In a medium size mixing bowl sift all-purpose flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt together. Set aside.
- In another large mixing bowl cream together softened butter and granulated sugar (you can use a mixer or a whisk). Add eggs, sour cream, milk, and vanilla extract, whisking constantly in between.
- Add dry ingredients into the mixture. Using a spatula, fold it together until smooth. Do not over mix.
- Add chocolate chips to the mixture and fold it together.
- Divide this batter between 9 muffin liners. Bake at 350°F for 18-20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. When it is ready, take it out and set aside to cool off for about 10 minutes. Place the muffins on a wire rack.
- For the frosting, using a hand or stand mixer, cream together softened butter and powdered sugar on high speed for 3-5 minutes. Add cocoa powder and mix it until combined. Add heavy cream and beat it until everything is well incorporated and has stiff peaks.
- When the cupcakes are completely cooled off, top them with the Chocolate Frosting using a large star piping tip.