Summer Strawberry Cake Roll filled with fresh strawberries and whipped cream is a perfect summer treat for your friends and family.
Fresh Strawberries and whipped cream are always a winning combination for any summer dessert. It is refreshing, light, and very delicious! Whether you’re making a cake or mini shortcakes, or a cake roll, all you need are some fresh sweet strawberries, cold heavy cream, and a cake base.
If you like summer desserts, please check these recipes:
A little bit of a Cake Roll history. Cake rolls, also known as Swiss rolls, became popular in the nineteenth century in Central Europe. However, no one knows the real origins of this term.
These Swiss rolls also became an inspiration for today’s popular jelly rolls that were first published in a journal “The Northern Farmer” in 1852. According to that recipe, you need to “Bake quick and while hot spread with jelly. Roll carefully, and wrap it in a cloth. When cold cut in slices for the table.”
Making cake rolls is really easy. To start, we need to make a sponge cake. The volume of a sponge cake directly depends on the volume of the whipped eggs. It is important to beat the eggs on a high speed for at least 6-7 minutes until the mixture get a thick consistency, pale, and triples in volume. Another important step is when you add the flour, you should sift it into the mixture in three steps and fold it in with a spatula. Make sure not to overmix it as you can lose the volume and the cake won’t rise.
When the cake it done, take it out of the oven. You have to work with it quickly while it is hot. You can use a small spatula or a knife to loosen the cake up from the baking pan. Then transfer the cake from the baking pan to the clean linen towel (face down) and carefully remove the parchment paper. Roll the cake into the towel and let it cool off.
The last part is quite simple. When the strawberries and whipped cream are ready, carefully unroll the cake and evenly spread the filling over the cake. Then try to roll it back without having any cracks and place it on the serving plate. Finally, decorate and refrigerate for a couple of hour so all the flavors will come together.
Did you make this recipe?!? I’d love to know how it turned out! leave a comment and a rating below👇 thank you!
Summer Strawberry Cake Roll
Ingredients for the Cake:
- 4 large eggs
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
Ingredients for the filling:
- 1 1/2 cup finely diced strawberries
- 1 1/2 cup heavy cream cold
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and line a 13×9 baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Using a stand mixer with a whisk attachment, beat the eggs on a high speed for about a minute until foamy. Gradually add granulated sugar and vanilla extract and continue beat on a high speed for 6-7 minutes, until the mixture is thick, pale, and tripled in size.
- Mix all-purpose flour and baking powder and sift it to the mixture in three steps. Using a spatula, fold it in until smooth consistency and no hidden flour pockets. Do not overmix.
- Pour the batter on the baking sheet, and using a spatula, even it out. Bake the cake at 350°F for about 10-12 minutes until the top is golden and a toothpick comes out clean.
- Take the cake out of the oven, use a clean spatula or a knife to lose the cake from the pan. Remove the cake from the baking pan to the clean linen towel (face down) and remove the parchment paper. Roll the cake into the towel and let it cool off.
- While the cake is cooling off, finely dice the strawberries.
- Using a hand or stand mixer with a whisk attachment, whisk cold heavy cream, powdered sugar, and vanilla extract until stiff peaks.
- Take 2/3 of the whipped cream and mix it together with diced strawberries. Put in the fridge until the cake is completely cooled off.
- When the cake is cooled off, carefully unroll the cake and loosen it from the towel. Spread the whipped cream with strawberries evenly over the cake and roll the cake in again. Place it on a serving plate.
- To decorate, dust the cake with a tablespoon of powdered sugar. Using the rest 1/3 of the cold whipped cream, pipe 4 large swirls on top and top them with 4 half strawberries.
- Refrigerate for a couple of hours before serving. Enjoy!