3 Ingredient Coconut Truffles are scrumptious and easy to make chocolate covered coconut balls made with sweetened coconut flakes condensed milk, and chocolate chips. This is a great bite-size no-bake dessert recipe idea which will surprise your guests!
When I was a child, my favorite treat was a Bounty candy; similar to the well-known brand Almond Joy, but without the almonds inside. Simply, these are chocolate covered candies with a coconut filling.
I think these coconut truffles bite-size treats are a great addition to any holiday party. You can make it together with my other favorite Chocolate Bourbon Truffles covered with crunchy toasted hazelnuts crumbs.
History of Chocolate Truffles
Original truffles were made with chocolate ganache and covered with cocoa. They received their name because of their appearance, which resembles a truffle fungus.
According to legend, these delicate chocolate ganache candies were a creation from a famous French chef, Auguste Escoffier. One day, sometime in the 1920s, he was working on a pastry cream, when an accident happened. Instead of pouring hot cream into a bowl with beaten eggs and sugar, he accidently poured it into the bowl with chocolate chunks. After chocolate and cream mixed together and hardened, he noticed that the mixture got a paste-like texture and was easy to work with. This culinary master then decided to roll small balls out of this mixture and cover them with cocoa. After they were done, he was surprised by their resemblance with truffle fungus, which grows in French Perigord region, and also the Piedmont area in Italy.
Today, truffles have many shapes and flavors. When you go to the store, you might find assorted crèmes covered with chocolate right next to chocolate ganache covered with cocoa powder. Here, in the United States, both of them would be called truffles. However, some French foodies might argue with you about the names of these chocolate treats.
How to make Coconut Balls
These bite-size coconut balls are very easy to make. All you need to do is to mix sweetened coconut flakes with condensed milk. Then, using this mixture, roll out small balls. To make sure the balls are even size, I like to use a 1 ½ tablespoon ice cream scoop to scoop out the coconut mixture. Place the coconut balls on a baking sheet with parchment paper. Refrigerate the coconut balls for about an hour.
After an hour, melt semi-sweet chocolate chips in microwave or over a double boiler. Dip coconut balls in melted chocolate and place them back on the parchment paper. Refrigerate for another hour before serving.
MORE DESSERT RECIPES YOU MIGHT LIKE:
- No-Bake Brownie Bites
- One Bowl Brownies
- Chocolate Chunk Cookies
- Donut Cookies
- Energy Bites with Dates
- Kahlua Cupcakes
- Mini Cheesecakes with Blueberry Sauce
- Chocolate Bourbon Truffles
Did you make this recipe?!? I’d love to know how it turned out! leave a comment and a rating below👇 thank you!
3 Ingredient Coconut Truffles
- In a medium-size mixing bowl, mix together sweetened coconut flakes and condensed milk.
- Using a 1 ½ tablespoon, scoop out the mixture and roll the balls. Place them on a baking sheet covered with parchment paper. Refrigerate for an hour.
- After an hour, melt semi-sweet chocolate chips in microwave or over a double boiler
- Dip coconut balls in melted chocolate and place them back on the parchment paper.
- As an option, you can sprinkle the tops with unsweetened shredded coconut.
- Refrigerate for another hour before serving.
- For a healthier version, you can use unsweetened coconut flakes and add 1/4 cup of maple syrup. Then mix it together with condensed milk.
- Also, you can use dark chocolate instead of semisweet one. Though, I like semisweet chocolate better.