Apple Cinnamon Coffee Cake recipe has a scrumptious soft and buttery cake base, topped with aromatic sliced cinnamon apples. It is a great recipe for the holiday season which can be served as a dessert, or for breakfast.
September is a month of peaches and apples. It is the perfect time to wake up earlier on a Saturday morning, hop in the car, and visit a local orchard to pick up fruits. Whether you live in the city or suburbs, you will enjoy a beautiful panoramic journey through small villages and farms with fields covered with giant corn, or potatoes and other vegetables. I think the best time to go there is in the early morning when there are less people and everything is so beautiful and peaceful.
When you arrive to the orchard, they will offer you a basket. Take a few, because you will always find more fruits or berries that you want to take with you while walking through the apple trees section.
If you are looking for holiday season recipes, please check these:
- Raspberry Almond Thumbprint Cookies
- Oatmeal Cookies with Cranberries and White Chocolate Chips
Last year, I posted my Peach and Blueberry Coffee Cake recipe which became very popular on my blog. This year, I want to show you how to use the same cake base to make a luscious Apple Cinnamon Coffee Cake that is great for the holiday season. While the peach season is almost over, the apple season will last for a little bit longer. Enjoy this time of the year while using apples more often in your baking.
Note: The only thing I added to the cake base recipe is lemon zest, as it brightens up the apple flavor. For the topping, I mixed slices apples, lemon juice, sugar, and cinnamon. As an option, you also can add a little bit of all-spice, though I prefer without.
Also, for this Apple Cinnamon Coffee Cake, I usually use an 8×8-inch baking pan and place the sliced apples in three rows. However, if that size pan is not available, use a regular 9-inch baking pan and top the apples clockwise, like I demonstrated for my Peach and Blueberry Coffee Cake. Place them tighter so they all fit.
I have to warn you that your house will be saturated with a luscious apple cinnamon aroma and the cake might be gone before it completely cools off! If you want, you can add a scoop of vanilla ice cream when serving to enhance the flavors.
- 2 medium apples, cored, sliced
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- zest from 1 lemon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup sour creram
- 1/4 cup whole milk
- 1. Preheat the oven to 350°F, grease 8×8-inch baking pan and set aside.
- 2. In a medium mixing bowl mix together cored and sliced apples, lemon juice, granulated sugar, and cinnamon. Set aside.
- 3. In a large bowl sift all dry ingredients (all-purpose flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt) and set aside.
- 4. In another mixing bowl, using a spatula, cream together softened butter and granulated sugar until smooth consistency. Add eggs, lemon zest, and vanilla extract and whisk. Add sour cream and milk and whisk it again.
- 5. Add dry ingredients to the mixture. Using a spatula, fold the ingredients together until well combined.
- 6. Pour the batter in the baking pan and top it with sliced apples, covered with sugar and cinnamon, in three rows. Bake at 350°F for about 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- 7. Remove the cake from the oven and let it cool off before serving. Enjoy!