Pigs in a Blanket is the best easy appetizer for a party. Made just with 2 main ingredients, puff pastry and hot dogs, it will be a great treat for a crowd!
When we host a party during the holiday season, I like to make a lot of appetizers to entertain our guests. Pigs in a blanket are always on my list. They are easy to make from scratch, filling, and fun.
All you need are just 2 main ingredients: puff pastry and hot dogs. It will take less than 10 min to prepare, put them in the oven, and they are ready to serve!
What are Pigs in a Blanket
This funny name, “Pigs in a blanket”, are referred to a sausage wrapped in a pastry dough or croissant dough and baked. Their size and type of the dough vary. Since this type of treat is usually served as an appetizer or a party snack, they are typically made in a bite-size serving.
It is hard to tell when the recipe was originally created. The first official recipe was published in the “Cooking for Kids” cookbook by Betty Crocker in 1957. Though, some people claim that the first mention of the recipe go back to the 17th century.
How to make homemade Pigs in a Blanket
Pigs in a blanket are super easy to make and you just need 2 main ingredients: sausages (or hot dogs) and puff pastry. I also use one egg for egg wash to give a beautiful golden color to the pastry with a little bit of sesame seeds and poppy seeds for decoration.
We need to start with thawing the puff pastry. Just take it out from the freezer and let it sit on the kitchen counter for about 30 minutes. Don’t try to unroll or unfold it when it’s cold, the dough will just crack.
When the puff pastry is thawed, unroll or unfold it. Using a knife or a pizza cutter, cut the dough in 12 equal squares.
Cut hot dogs in halves. Place half of the sausage in each square diagonally and fold the puff pastry from the both sides.
I also like to pinch the dough just a little bit on top to make sure it wont open up while baking.
In a small bowl, whisk an egg with half a tablespoon of water and brush it over the pastry.
Sprinkle the top of the pastry with sesame seeds and poppy seeds.
Bake at 400°F for 25-30 minutes, until the pastry is a golden/brown color.
Serve warm with a side of ketchup, mustard, relish, or other dipping sauce.
How to make Pigs in a Blanket with Cheese
If you want to make these cute Pigs in a Blanket even fancier, add a little bit of cheese! I like to use sharp cheddar, as it has more flavor!
The trick is to use just a little bit because the cheese will leak, and if it leaks it will burn.
So put just a little bit of cheese under the sausage and the rest of the instructions are the same.
MORE PARTY RECIPES YOU MIGHT LIKE:
- 3 Ingredient Cranberry Bites
- BLT Pasta Salad
- Instant Pot Chicken Wings
- Instant Pot BBQ Pulled Chicken
- Instant Pot BBQ Pulled Pork
Pigs in a Puff Pastry Blanket
- 1 roll puff pastry
- 6 hot dogs cut in half
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- 1 tablespoon poppy seeds
- Preheat the oven to 400°F, line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- Roll out a thawed puff pastry sheet and cut it in 12 equal squares, using a knife or a pizza cutter.
- Place half of the sausage in each square diagonally and fold the puff pastry from the both sides.
- In a small bowl, whisk an egg with half a tablespoon of water and brush it over the pastry.
- Sprinkle the top of the pastry with sesame seeds and poppy seeds.
- Bake at 400°F for 25-30 minutes, until the pastry is golden/brown color.
- Serve warm with a side of ketchup or mustard.